Thursday, March 2, 2017

Maggie

3/2/2017

Yesterday afternoon, Jeff and I took Maggie to the vet.  We were hoping for the best, but knew going in we should expect the worse.  The tumor on Maggie's side was very large and was beginning to affect her breathing.

For 12 years, Maggie had been a wonderful dog.  She was a young dog when Benjamin was born and tolerated all of his toddler nonsense of climbing on her.  Maggie was a good dog and when we brought the puppies home last summer, was a good mother to both of them.  I suppose we could have prolonged her life, but to what end?  It made little sense to have Maggie undergo what would have been an expensive surgery and chances are the outcome for her would likely be the same.

Maggie was agitated when we put her on the table.  The vet gave her a shot to calm her down, and Jeff and I spent a good bit of time loving her and telling her that she had been a very good dog and how much we'd miss her.  When we felt we were ready (which is such an understatement), the vet came back in and gave her the shot.  Within mere seconds of receiving the injection, Maggie was gone. As hard as it is putting your animal to sleep, it is the kindest thing you can do for your animal.  You are with them at the very end, as you want to be.   We were the last people she saw and then she goes to sleep and is gone, I like to think, to a doggy heaven, where there is no pain and fields and other dogs to be with.

As I write this, through puffy eyes, my tears are falling.  It was so hard lettering her go.  The only saving grace was that we had enough foresight last summer to know that Maggie was getting old and we needed a "back up" puppy if you will for when we lost her.  Bella is that puppy.  She has some Labrador in her and while she will never be as big as Maggie, is obedient and very, very smart.  Even knowing this, I can't seem to wrap myself around not having an actual Labrador in the house.  Some people I know would accept the loss and move on.  And, I could try and do that; but, a Lab is a very special breed of dog and anyone who has or does own one, knows how special they are.

If we were lucky enough to find a Lab that needs to be rescued, I wouldn't take on the task of getting another puppy.  While we both love puppies who bound into your life, I know I couldn't take on the task of having a third puppy in the house.  A slightly older dog?  Maybe. Will have to see what the future holds for us.

Jeff and I used to joke at night, when it was cold, that we had a "three dog" bed to snuggle with.  For now, it'll just have to be two dog nights, but doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

If you've loved and lost a pet, you know how difficult it is to adjust and accept the loss. The picture is not Maggie, but looks just like her.

P

Image result for picture of yellow labrador


2 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you lost your beloved Maggie! My own lab is 9 and we feel that this will be her last year, she has had a diesese and taken medication her whole life. She will be my first dog to lose and I do not look forward to that day. Hope your dog heaven is up there and that Maggie finds great joy. Love to you, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's always hard to let a dog go, but luckily we have enough foresight to rescue the two puppies last summer. Love P

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...