Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Purple Glasses

2/26/2019

I know you're asking yourself, what is "purple glass". Purple glass, is: An interesting characteristic of colorless glasses which contain manganese dioxide as a decolorizer is their tendency to turn different shades of purple when exposed to the rays of the sun or to other ultra-violet sources. It is a photochemical phenomenon that is not yet perfectly understood.

I own several pieces of purple glass, and I always put this kind of glass, whether it be bottles or vases, in a window that gets a lot of sun. The longer time in the sun, the darker the purple becomes.

So, why bother? Simply said, it's a beautiful kind of glass. I don't remember how I came to know about purple glass, but once I did, I was constantly on a search to find more. These glass pieces are beautiful, whether they are light lavender or a darker shade of purple. I've never checked, but I'm assuming that this sort of glass pieces, isn't particular valuable. Why? Because I believe that very few people have ever heard of this kind of glass. A quick search on Ebay has various prices on this glass starting at $1.39 for a sugar bowl to $195.00 for a pitcher and 3 drinking glasses. 

It's safe for me to assume that (a) you've never heard of this glass before; and/or (b) will never want to own this kind of glass pieces. This kind of glass became popular in the 1800's. So, it's safe to say that this glass has been around a block or two!! This example shows the pitcher and glasses as light lavender. If I owned these, I would definitely put them in the sun, in hope of turning the glass darker.

P


Vtg Fostoria American Sun Kissed Purple Set of 3 Footed Tumblers + Juice Pitcher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...