Tuesday, June 18, 2019

I'm Invisable

6/18/2019

I know you're wondering about the word 
"invisible". Here's what I mean: because of my inability to walk very far, I am forced to use those stupid mobile carts in stores. When you're trying to back up, the cart has that horrible beeping sound. A sound that I've come to hate.

So here's where the invisible part comes in. You're "scooting" along in the store. People cut in front of you, because they "really" don't see people like myself.

They block aisles such that I'm unable to go anywhere, but go in reverse. Urrr. People stop abruptly, which makes it difficult for me to stop.  These stupid carts don't turn on a dime. When, I'm going to move from aisle to aisle, I am forced to peek out for incoming foot traffic. While I'm cruising along in my buggy, some, not all, people are in a word - rude

In these carts, you merely lurch along and hoping that you don't hit somebody, or that somebody bumps into me. I guess the good news is, that my body doesn't hang off the sides of the cart. There are people who are in the cart mostly, but there is a lot of their body, hanging out on both sides. That is so not ever going to be me. It could be my imagination, and it probably is, but people do seem to stare at you. This one action, makes me feel terrible. I assure you that I'm not in the cart by choice. Sometimes I, and probably only me, feel that by riding in the cart, you somehow become the "designated" handicap person in the store.

You stop in an aisle to check out something, and people literally stop in front of me, to pick up something. Most of the time this happens in the freezer section of the store. While this occurrence doesn't happen every time, it happens enough.  By the time I've been through the stores, I have clipped several end aisle products displays! Sorry about that. I truly try not to run into someone or something, but it's not always for the cart and I to go around corners.

One time, in WalMart, two teenagers had taken two of these carts, and were literally racing through the store. It took all my patience, because I would have liked to knock them over. That would be a very un-lady like thing to do. What these teenagers were racing around, it meant that two people, who really need the cart, won't have any carts available. If, we go into a store, and there are no riding carts, I simply head back to the car. There is no way, at this point, that I am able to walk around and shop. It's simply easier to just stay in the car.

I guess my message is this: please don't stare at me while I'm in the cart; do not wonder why I'm in the cart. I know I look healthy enough to outsiders, while I'm riding around. I use these carts by necessity, and certainly not by choice. For me personally, I'd rather stay home then venture out to a store.

Next time you go to a store and see me, or others, on one of those stupid riding carts, don't judge us. Some of us look perfectly "normal" (that could be a stretch for me!), and the disability doesn't show outsiders what's wrong with me. I don't know of anyone who needs to ride around in a store, that does it just because. 

Last shopping trip, I told Jeff that I didn't want to ride in a cart, I could "walk" on my own two feet. I got as far as the first piece of furniture I could find to sit on. Jeff went out and brought the buggy to me. 

Climbing off my soap box now. Sorry to rant, but this is really a "thing" for me.

P


Image result for picture of riding cart in a store

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...