Friday, July 31, 2015

It's August

7/31/2015

You may be sitting down and scratching your head.  Your calendar says it's July 31st, so why am I heralding in August?  Why?  Because I tend to round things up, it's just what I do.  I just can't believe how quickly the summer has flown by.  Before we know it, we'll be needing sweaters and jackets!

When I flip a month over in my calendar, I quickly check for important dates that I might miss - birthday, anniversary, the day we moved into our house I believe 29 years ago.  That doesn't seem possible.  We've been here long enough, that living in California seems a lifetime ago - and actually it probably is.

The stores are ramping up for school - the kids aren't excited - the parents are.  I remember the August rush to buy jeans.  When you have all boys, you just go to the jeans section and get each boy "x" pair of jeans.  Shopping for boys is relatively easy, because they don't care.  When the boys were very young, they didn't have an opinion on what kind of shirt I bought.  But, when they were older, they did have opinions.

Growing up, I loved going to the store to buy school supplies for the new year.  New pencils, new notebook, new pens, colored tabbed dividers for the notebook, erasers, etc.  Once you've been in school for a while, the new notebook gets covered up with writing.  Girls particularly like to draw hearts on stuff, it's just what we do.

I was pretty organized as a teenager, and as I sit here, I'm still somewhat organized.  I have file folders with names on them: utility bills; telephone bills; insurance papers, etc.  I also have a folder for each car, which is where I file the repair bills and anything else that relates to that car.  Jeff has relied on me for 40 years to know where things are - like our passports (in a folder marked passports, obviously).  The pink (even though they are white) slips to our cars once the loan has been paid off.

I have now moved away from filing electricity bills in the appropriate folder.  I stopped doing so, because we never ever go back to look at an electric bill.  Instead, I now have a box for all of our paid bills.  I also have a box for all the bills for the plane.  For the plane, I still file anything relating to Jeff's medical.  Pilots don't want to lose their medical - which means they can't fly.  

So enjoy the day, whatever you do.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...