Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Bassetts versus the Air Conditioner

7/1/2015

I don't even have to ask how many of you already know the outcome of this scenario.  The a/c won - of course.  

Yesterday, the a/c company sent out their "A" team technicians who finally on the third visit in less than a month, determined the actual problem.  And, like all things, the news wasn't good.  The cheapest diagnostic test that could be performed would be around $600.  And, no that wouldn't actually fix anything.  We'd be out $600 and then still have to perform some sort of life-saving procedure on a very old air conditioner.

The technicians thought that due to its advanced age (1993 model), that it might be cheaper to replace the old unit with a brand new more efficient unit.  I told the technicians that anything beyond the actual service call was beyond my authorization (kidding) and that they would have to talk to Jeff.  

As luck would have it, Jeff pulled into the driveway while the technicians were still here.  They explained that the downstairs unit was "DOA" and any life support they could do would be expensive.  The technicians actually disabled the unit, so we now only have air conditioning upstairs, which I think is a good thing.  I like a cool/cold bedroom and even though the downstairs was hot, it was blissfully cool when I went to bed.  Thank you for small favors.

The salesman is going to call Jeff and then they can talk about our options in replacing the old and broken down one.  If you install a high energy efficient one, the electric company throws in a rebate of around $1800.  The rebate will help, but Jeff and I both know that a new unit will cost some number with a comma!  

Since I'm home all day, I have several fans blowing air around, which makes things a little cooler - or is that just in my mind?  Regardless, the fans are on high and if I leave them on long enough, who knows maybe they'll blow the dust off the coffee table!

Stay cool where you are.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...