Saturday, October 31, 2015

Happy Halloween

10/31/2015

Today, or more accurately tonight, is a wonderful time for children.  They get to dress up as their favorite character and take a bag or pillowcase around to houses for candy.  Who wouldn't like that?  This is also a wonderful time for dentists - just think of the cavities to come!

When the boys were young and we lived in California, I would put Scott and Andy in a wagon and pull them around through the neighborhood.  My sister would join me and we'd only be trick or treating for a few minutes, before their masks were off.  

By the time we moved to Maryland, the boys 6 and 8 were old enough that they didn't need to ride in a wagon any longer.  One of us walked with them, staying in the back, while the boys filled their bags.  Unlike my childhood, when we used to eat as much candy as possible before we got home, things are different now.  The boys weren't supposed to eat any candy until they got home.  A sad reality about how things have changed.  Parents now go through the candy and throw out any homemade goodies like popcorn balls, which I'm sure were made with love, but get tossed anyway.

Once the boys came home with their candy, we dumped all of it on the table and sorted through the candy.  Obviously, the boys would eat as much candy as they could, so we had to put the candy in a  big bowl and allow them to eat only a few pieces every day.  And, because I love candy, I had certain candy bars that I wanted to eat!

In 1986 when we moved into our house, the neighborhood was teeming with children.  Today, not so much.  Our house is at the top of a hill and most of the houses no longer have young children, because they are all in high school or college.

Since walking up the hill isn't something a lot of children want to do, I find that we don't see many children come to the house.  So, unlike years long gone, where we bought lots of candy, now we only buy one small bag.  This year's treat for ourselves is Reese's peanut butter cups.  Soooooo, if there is any candy left, at least Jeff and I will get to eat something that we like.

Jeff, has in years past, loved opening up the front door at warp speed and jumping out onto the porch.  This delights the older kids.  I like to keep a look out for young children, so that they don't get spooked by having Jeff jump out to scare them. 

P

Image result for trick or treat pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...