Thursday, March 10, 2016

Happy Birthday to My Sister

3/10/2016

Today is my sister's birthday.  I can't tell you how old she is, but she's a lot younger than I am and not in danger of needing Social Security anytime soon!  Lucky girl.

Growing up we always shared a bedroom, which meant we could be at odds over our "space".  I was in high school and decorated my space with all things relating to being a teenager.  My sister, was into Barbie.  We got along pretty well, but when our brother went off to college, we both got what we wanted: a room of our own!  And as an added bonus, a bathroom for just us girls!  Heaven.

My sister was my maid of honor at my wedding to Jeff.  She always went with me to both bridal and baby showers, where she as well as me, had to play those silly party games.  

When I was pregnant with Scott, she and I scoured the stores in downtown Riverside, looking for a dressing table.  We found one and I don't remember exactly how we got it home.  Jeff might have been involved.

She and I took exercise classes at the YWCA.  And yes, a long time ago I exercised (not gracefully but still) and also played racquetball once a week.  

We took classes at the local junior college.  In one class we made miniature books - mine didn't look too good.  Between the two of us, my sister received all the arts and crafts genes from Mom.  Me?  Not so much.  We took a calligraphy class as well as a refresher shorthand class.  

We ordered Tupperware from one of those house parties and when the order was in, we decided to go pick it up.  The Tupperware lady lived a long way from home, but unlike today, I was undaunted and we set off in a rainstorm.  By the way, we did get the Tupperware.

On Halloween, my sister would come over and help pull Scott and Andy in a wagon while they went trick or treating.  As a thank you, she got to pick our her favorite candy from the mound of candy dumped on the kitchen table.

By the time my sister became pregnant, Jeff and I had already moved to Maryland.  Since 1986, I have only seen her a handful of times and two of those times were at funerals for Mom and Dad.  

By the time my sister is ready for Social Security, I'll be able to walk her through the mine field of decisions that await her.  

We don't talk on the phone, partly I suppose because I actually don't like talking on the phone.  Don't bother to ask me why, because there is no rationale thought behind this.  Maybe it has something to do with having to talk on the phone every day at the office for 40+ years!

Here's my best wishes to my sister for a most excellent birthday - with cake!

P

Image result for picture of birthday cake

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Patti for the wonderful Birthday Wishes...58 now. Hope you have a great day.

    Love to you, Marilee

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...