Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Leader of the Laundromat

3/29/2016

I own several double-sided heavy cotton rugs that are in my bathroom.  The rugs are lovely and there is none of that rubber backing that melts off.  The problem is that lately Mr. Sam has found one rug in particular in the bathroom that he uses as his bathroom.  I'm not happy about this - not at all.

The rug is very large and really heavy when wet.  I have tried to use my washing machine for this rug in the past, but I ended up with a "walking" washing machine.  To avoid the walking, I have to lean on the machine to keep it balanced.

Today, I ventured into a laundromat for the first time in let's say 40+ years.  For the size machine I needed the cost was $5.00 - highway robbery.  But, I knew that I had to wash it so hopefully (fingers crossed here) that Mr. Sam will stop doing his business on it.

There was a telenova playing on the television and as I watched women drag in large and heavy bags of dirty clothes, I was grateful that all I had was one rug.  I wasn't even going to stick around and dry it.  Our dryer has no difficulty with the rug.  It just takes a long time, and as it turns out, I have plenty of that.

In my first life, when I/we were super poor, I had to make the trek to the laundromat to wash our clothes.  At one point, my parents bought us a wringer washing machine. It can take hours to use this kind of machine and the rollers are deadly.  You had to make sure that buttons and snaps were on the inside of the clothing, or you ended up with no buttons or snaps!  I guess it's true that whatever doesn't kill us, makes us strong.  Then I'm pretty sure I'm darn tough.

When I met and married Jeff, one of the first things he bought me was a washer and dryer.  You would have thought he had gifted me with the Hope Diamond.  I was in heaven with the new machines.   I know many women who would like to receive an appliance as a gift, but I'm okay with those kinds of gifts.  Bring me a new vacuum, new stove or whatever and I'm a happy and very lucky lady.

P


Image result for wringer washing machine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...