Saturday, June 11, 2016

50th High School Reunion

6/11/2016

During my sophomore year in high school, my Dad retired from the Air Force and it was decided that we would move from California to Illinois.  My Grandmother lived in Illinois and I know that my Mother wanted to be closer to her, as well as other relatives.

High School in California meant that you were one of a thousand or more students.  I had a small group of friends, otherwise I was just another person walking across the quad. 

 High School in Illinois was a completely different matter.  First the class size went from a thousand plus to about 42 (give or take) of us.  I wasn't just a nameless person roaming the halls.  Everybody knew everybody's name and it was a great feeling.  

When there was an activity, such as building the homecoming float, everybody came to help.  Parties, for the most part, involved everyone.  Class trips meant taking one bus, since we were such a small group.

I loved high school in Illinois.  We lived just down the street from my Grandmother, who would drive me to school during snowy weather.  In those days, schools in Illinois didn't close down because it had snowed.

I was in the senior class play.  I played Magda Swenson, a Swedish maid who was testifying against her employer in a murder trial.  My Dad was one of the jurors.  In a talent show, my Mother dressed up as some famous old singer and belted out her song.

During our graduation, since there were so few of us, each of us had the entire stage to ourselves from the time we took our first step to the last step down the stairs.  In large graduations, each graduate gets only a moment or two to shine.

Fifty years is a long time.  I'm hoping to go and see how my classmates have survived the years.  I'm assuming there will be balding, graying, added pounds and "age" spots.  But, in such a small group, you can't get lost in the crowd.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...