Monday, June 13, 2016

Made My Decision

6/13/2016

I spent most of yesterday waffling about my decision to put Sam to sleep.  I had pros and unfortunately more cons.  Sam has been a lovely addition to our home for seven years.  We have owned several Westies and Sam, by far, had the most personality.

I made an appointment for tomorrow morning.  I think the decision was finalized when getting up in the middle of the night, I had to go around a "mine field" left on the carpet.  I've always had an understanding, at least on my part, that you do your business outside - not in the house.  Because of Sam's age, I have cut him some slack, but he doesn't appear to have any control over his bodily functions any longer.  I could, I suppose, put him through tests that would cost a lot of money and might or might not prove anything other than he's old.

We'll miss him a great deal and making the decision was hard even though I knew it was the right one.  Almost always, you outlive your pet(s) and since they can't tell you what's wrong, it's up to the owner to make the right decision at the right time. 

I'm going to take Sam to the vet by myself.  It will be a sad and quiet ride home.  Maggie will wonder where her old pal has gone.  I'll take Sam's collar and leave it out where Maggie can sniff it for a few days.

Not every day is a good one or an easy one.  Tomorrow it will be neither.

P

2 comments:

  1. Patti, my heart goes out to you. We have had to make this heart wrenching decision in the past and know how hard it is. You are Sam's guardian and know what his normal is and what is best for him. Think of all the joy you have brought each other and what a good life he has had with you. Sending you many hugs and much love, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. This is always a difficult decision, but I know it's time.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...