Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Old Man Still Has Game!

6/2/2016

And no, I'm not talking about Jeff, though he's still got lots of life in him.  I'm talking about Mister Sam (Westie).  Sam is 15 years old and has cataracts which makes it hard for him to see in the dark.  When Westies were given their name in 1908.  

They were bred to hunt rodents and though a lot of years have passed since 1908, I can assure you that Mister Sam can still find a rodent.  Yesterday, while enjoying my coffee, I heard Sam in the backyard barking with a high pitched yelping sound.  I knew immediately that he had found something in the backyard.  I went to the backyard and sure enough he had his nose down as far as it could go in an abandoned pipe sitting on the ground.  Maggie, sensing something was up was barking, but I know that she has no clue what's up.

I looked down the pipe and could see the chipmunk hanging on to the inside of the pipe.  I banged the pipe on the ground and the chipmunk raced for cover.  Sam was hot on his heels.  When we had new gutter guards put in, the old ones were put on the patio and pretty much forgotten.  I jostled the pieces of metal and before I knew it, the chipmunk was out and running for its life.  Two scares in one day may have given the little guy a heart attack!

Once Sam was satisfied that there were no "foreigners" in his yard, he was happy to come back inside, get on the sofa and take his first nap of the day.  Sam may be old, but the old man still has it when it comes to sniffing out little animals like chipmunks.  Because Sam was a hero, he earned himself extra biscuits!  And to be fair, Maggie had some as well - can't play favorites when it comes to biscuits and bones.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...