Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Silent Ride Home

6/14/2016

I've just come home from taking Sam to the vet to be put to sleep.  They gave him a sedative which made him pretty sleepy before the injection.  The vet we go to is an all woman practice.  They brought in a blanket for Sam to rest on.  The sedative took effect quickly and once he received the injection, his heart stopped in about 30 seconds.  Unfortunately, mine didn't.

I was allowed to stay in the room for as long as I needed.  I hugged Sam and told him over and over again what a good dog he was.  Sam was by far the most vocal Westie we've ever owned.  The drive home was horrible.  Luckily, there was no traffic so I didn't feel the need to pick up speed to keep someone behind me from going nuts.

And now I'm home.  I have purposely put Sam's leash and collar hanging on the dining room chair, so that Maggie can smell her old friend for a few days.  There will be no more yipping from Sam wondering where his 5:00 in the afternoon "hamburger" snack is coming.  There'll be no little dog to sit in our lap.  Maggie is a great dog, but she isn't a lap dog.

I'm proud that I was able to do this by myself.  Jeff and I thought our decision thoroughly and knew that it was in Sam's best interest to not prolong his life, just so that we could keep him around.

Now, I think there is a xanax in my future and maybe a cheesy tv show until I can hopefully fall asleep.

P

I think this is a wonderful poem and I want to believe that there is a Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. 


All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. 

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. 

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. 

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry that you lost Sam. Hope your days are brighter in the near future. I can only imagine the pain that you are going through. Though we have dogs in the past that were put down, Katie is MY dog and she is almost 9 now and I will be devastated when that time comes. I send you my heart and know that you are hurting so much. I like Rainbow Bridge. With my love, M

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...