Thursday, June 21, 2018

Shopping and My Car

6/21/2018

Okay, let's start with the good stuff.  Yesterday, Stacey and I ventured to a book warehouse.  She, was there to get mostly education books for the upcoming school year.  And, I'm aware that this school year has just ended! Stacey and I took my rollator, so that I could walk as far as I was able, and then could plop by hinney on the seat.  Perfecto.

I, on the other hand, cruised the aisles looking for books for me, and also future gifts for Benjamin and Elly.  I'm a good "girl scout" and don't wait until the first of December and then think, oops Christmas is just around the corner.

One aisle had damaged books for sale. The price $2.00.  Bought Benjamin a book about building completed things from his Legos.  The original cost of the book was $30.00, so in my mind, that was a steal.  The binding on the top of the book has a bit of wear, but I'm sure Benjamin will never notice.

Then there was a "build a box" aisle.  The box was $24.00, and the theory was simple: just keep putting books in the box until it was full.  Because I had found books on that aisle, I split the cost of the box with Stacey.

While there were no large print books, I have found that if I use a regular book, and my very large magnifying glass, I seem to get along just fine. Sadly, from Jeff's point of view, I found a lot of books!  There are many things that I can no longer do or do well, like walking for instance.  Reading if my go to activity.  I can be somebody who is beautiful, I can go to a marvelous small town, or venture to other countries. By the way, when I'm reading, I'm always beautiful!

All of that was goodness.  Here's the bad.  I went to the dentist today and drove myself there.  After my appointment, I got into my car, seat belts on and started the car.  For reasons that I can't explain, when I put the car in reverse, it was like a demon had taken over.  I actually believe that the car actually "leaped" when I put the car in reverse, and that makes me sound like a nut.  It's possible that I was and am confused.  Perhaps I only think I had my foot on the brake the whole time. But, I do know that I did, at some point, apply the brakes, but the car just kept going. My car didn't stop until it hit the building. My right side mirror is/was hanging off the car, and my running board was hanging down, pretty much off the car.  The dentist, who saw me and the car going in reverse, and not stopping, came out along with his staff, to help me. Hysteria?  Oh, you bet, time to take a Xanax.  I just kept telling everybody that I did have my foot on the brake.  Why it wouldn't stop, I have no idea.  At least I didn't hit somebody and the damage to the building was minor. Good news, and believe me I need some, there was no damage to my body, except for jangled nerves.  I was so very scared in the moment, and even now, several hours later, can't seem to relax.

My car has been taken off to the body shop.  I used this body shop previously, when I damaged the right side of the car.  However, this incident today make me wonder if I should still be driving.  I'm a little young to be turning my driver's license in, but I know that when my car is finished, I'll be very hesitant to drive it home. It may be time to start using Metro Access to take me to my appointments.

I have apologized many times to Jeff about the car and my inability to stop. I now am afraid that I won't be able to get back "on the horse" again.

Basically, all the fun I had yesterday with Stacey has been pushed further back in my memory, because of my mishap today.  

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...