Sunday, November 11, 2018

It's Cold Back Here

11/11/2018

You know that all song "Baby It's Cold Out Here"? Well that song can absolutely be true for the weather we're having today.  We have blue sky, which is pretty, and the wind isn't "winding", so it's nearly a perfect day.

The HOA is coming out tomorrow to start their annual pick-up of leaves. If the leaves are in the street, and off the curb, they will have a big truck with a large "sucker" hose, and get the street tidy.  

It was 32 degrees when I got up this morning, so definitely turn on the fireplace weather. Just one of our problems at this time of the year is that with the basement door open, a blast of arctic air creeps up the stairwell. David (Jeff's brother) lives in California, where they don't have temperatures in the 30's. Jeff did warn David to bring a coat and gloves, and they were definitely needed yesterday as well as today.

I remember when we moved here 32 years ago, we all suffered from "thin blood", and the transition did take sometime for all of us. But, we're "natives" now, and most of the people in the East, enjoy having the four seasons. Since the boys are grown, and I no longer work, if it snows, it snows. Just not a big deal. Jeff's commute to work now is a mere13 steps!  

What we did have to learn when we moved here, that if it's snowing and the snow is sticking, then you better get your rear in gear to shovel several times during the day. And, if it freezes on top of the snow, well you can guess how big that problem is.

Oh, another plus about being at home, is that we don't have to chip off the ice on the car windows. If you let the sun help you out, then that project becomes less of a chore.

I do notice that when the fireplace is on, the dogs, but mostly Bella gets as close to the fireplace as she can. When we bought a gas fireplace, we opted to have a blower (I think that's what it's called), so that we can adjust the flame to become hotter. Sometimes, the fireplace works so well, that the den actually becomes too warm! I know we all should have that problem!

Jeff's back now from dropping David off. Before he goes back to work, he's out with the blower "encouraging" all of our leaves to get out of the yard.  At this time of the year, after a big pick-up of the leaves, there is only a minimal amount that will drop off the tree. And, we can live with some leaves on the ground, just as long as we see more green on the lawn. 

I really don't like to be cold, so I have to sit on the sideline (i.e., my office chair) and watch Jeff work. I hate watching Jeff work while I do nothing makes me feel pretty useless. On the other hand, I have a real fear of falling (since I fell earlier last week) while I'm outside. I simply can't afford to have even one more thing go wrong with my body. Another one of my fears (and I do have many) is that the next fall I have (I'm also sure that it will happen), will break more than just my shoulder.

While David was here, we went out each evening for dinner. A gal could easily get used to this! The kitchen needs to get tidied up a bit, so that will be job, perhaps my only job today.

Happy Sunday.

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...