Friday, March 15, 2019

Cables and Wires -- Oh My!

3/15/2019

Before the age of computers, lamps, as well as many other products, we the consumers have now been subjected to wires and cables. Mind you, we all love our electronic devices, and have no intention of giving them up. Yesterday, I went, and don't ask me why, but I looked behind a small cabinet, that at one time, had a few wires. I was just super shocked when all I could see was a jumble of wires - think of a pile of snakes (you get my drift).

Under my computer, there are wires and cables too. But, because they are hidden away from sight, I can actually forget that they're there. And, it's far better to not go looking for trouble. 

There are three geeks in my life, and I depend on them to keep my Tivo, television, and computer running through all those wires. I'm a very lucky lady to have this in-house "network" of men who are in the know about such stuff.  Here's all I ask. And, that is don't let any of my essential devices stop working. I love my computer and through the wonder of Google, can search for anything and sometimes even people.  Gotta love all that power. Sure beats wading through an encyclopedia!

The company who manufactured the encyclopedia "Brittanica", stopped making these books in 2012. They were in the business of making encyclopedias, for 24 years. If, and I can't think why, you wanted to buy the final print, it will set you back $1,395. Not a good deal in my book. It's not like you can add anything to this book. What's printed, is all that you get. No wonder search engines have taken over the world. My Dad bought Collier's encyclopedias, and they were not only heavy, but hard to use. Some salesman convinced my Dad, that we kids, needed an entire set of encyclopedias. Dad's heart was in the right place, but unfortunately turned out to be a bust, since these books were so hard to use. And, of course, once an encyclopedia is printed, it's already outdated!

During high school, Dad would drive me to the nearest library so that I could do research on a current project. Not many Dads would do that, but my Dad was special. Of course, most of you women, also think/thought your Dad was special, and they are/were. It's a father/daughter bond like no other.

P  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...