Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Shredding or Trashing?

3/6/2019

Some of you may remember a time that when mail arrived, and it was, for example, a junk piece of mail, but your name was on it. I, and most folks back then, simply tossed that paper right into the trash can. Very easy. But, that was before stolen identities became a "thing". 

I have a shredder in my office, and I feed it paper, at least once a day. I tear off the back of a catalog to be shredded. The rest of the catalog goes into the trash. 

I once worked for a man, who really didn't want his name on pretty much anything. He and I worked out a system. When I took the mail out of his office, if he had put an "x" on the paper, I knew it needed to be shredded. And, because he was an executive, I had a shredder in my office - really just a cubicle like everybody else.

In an effort to put our papers, bills, receipts, etc., I have put papers that need to be shredded in one box, and just trash in another. Unfortunately, so far the box that needs to be shredded is really full. And, I have a lot more paper to go through. It finally dawned on me (I'm a slow learner), that there was really no need to keep most paid bills. Have you ever gone back to look at a paid bill? Trust me, if you have somehow missed a payment, the company will be sure to let you know. I also kept all paycheck stubs, and I'm going to shred all of them as well. 

The amount of unwanted mail that we receive, and perhaps you do too, now makes up for 99% of our mail. Ugh. Tear off the back of catalogs to shred, dump the contents, providing their blank, in the trash. 

The only documents that I'm keeping, and always will, is for both companies: 4A Computing and Jeffco (the plane). Papers for companies, need to be kept, at least I think they do. Also, for the two companies, I have different binders that I use to file the companies' documents. The binders are now so full, that not one more document will fit. Hence, the buying of new binders. I'll archive the documents starting with the year 2017 and going backwards. What's left behind will be spiffy new binders to start using for filing always needed papers.

Time consuming? You bet. But, somebody has to take on this enormous chore, and that person is me. A hundred years ago (not really), I promised Jeff that I would handle the paperwork. In the beginning it was easy to keep track of the paperwork, because there was only a "wee" amount. Fast forward, and now I'm talking a lot of paper - perhaps more than I bargained for!!

Obviously, this isn't a picture of my work space, but you get the idea. 

P

Image result for picture of piles of paper



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...