Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Missed a Day - Apologies

5/28/2019

Some days, like yesterday for instance, I just don't have too much to say. And, you can stop laughing! I can get pretty gabby, so it doesn't make much sense for me to have nothing to blog about.

We watched the Memorial Day Concert. Some of, scratch that, the people who sang, Jeff and I have never heard of. But, that's okay, we like living in the 60's!!!

But some of the people who told us about their life in the war, was very sobering. Most of them were in the Vietnam War. I lost a classmate who died in Vietnam. But, over time, I can't remember his full name - William something. While he was in Vietnam, we sent letters to each other regularly. After he died, Mom and Dad took me to his funeral. Other than some older relatives, this was the first time somebody of my age, passed away. I kept his letters tied with a ribbon, for sometime. And, then we moved, I got married and well you know the rest of the story. I don't have those letters anymore.

In the audience, were men who had served in World War II. That war was from 1939 to 1945. Even if you didn't watch the concert, I'm sure you can appreciate the sacrifices these men made. While the number of war survivors from World War II is slowly dwindling down. Those that were in the War, were in their uniforms and those that could, stood up. Very emotional to see these now very old men who are alive and I'm know they have a lot of memories locked away.

One of those survivors is:  

Richard Arvin Overton (May 11, 1906 – December 27, 2018) was an American super centenarian who at the age of 112 years, 230 days was the oldest verified surviving U.S. World War II veteran and oldest man in the United States. He served in the United States Army.

Let's be grateful for their service to this country.

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...