Friday, May 24, 2019

Worth Watching

5/24/2019

After last night storms, today is a beautiful to take a drive, with top down. Jeff and Bella, have taken to the road, to meet up with a worker friend of his. The outing will be good for him, and Bella is always ready to go riding.

Show to watch: HBO is having a mini-series called Chernobyl. I urge you to watch, because every episode gives me a wake up call. When this happened in 1986, Jeff and I were in the throes of moving out of one house and one state, to another house in another state. I'm sure on some level, Jeff would have read the articles about this devastating news.

What the program shows is how much time the Russians took to try and solve the problem. Some officials were in denial, but I'm thinking that a large black smoke overhead, would make me think something has gone horribly wrong. And, it had.

The people can't agree, but they number of deaths between 31 or 54.  I don't think it matters how many people died, but what does matter, is that they died.

There any number of exceptions when counting the deaths and/or the people who were harmed and/or maimed. 

 In her 1988 poem, "They Did Not Register Us "Sirota addresses what she considers the failure of local and international authorities to recognize the disaster-related, long-latency disease deaths of Chernobyl Exclusion Zone evacuees and to reach consensus about how best to tally and study these deaths. She wrote: they did not register us, so our deaths were not linked to the accident. People were wrote off as suffering from lingering stress, and cunning genetic disorders. They did not register the people, and deaths were not linked to the accident. Thousands of 'competent' functionaries count our 'souls' in percentages." Basically, they wrote the survivors off. 

Will we ever really know how many people died, or maimed due to radiation and their deaths were not linked to the accident.

While some of the Russian people survived, it is reported that there were 4,000 premature deaths. And, I'm really positive that the number is small. Basically, however you crunch the numbers, we're talking about a lot of people, animals and crops affected by radiation.

There are 5 episodes of this mini-series, and I encourage everybody to watch this show. I promise it will be an eye opener for everyone. 

P

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...