Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Warm Weather

5/5/2015

All winter long, when long-sleeves and sweaters aren't enough to keep you warm, we daydream about warmer weather.  Okay, the warmer weather is in the forecast for this week, and I'm already unhappy about the bedroom not being cool enough - for me!

Because air conditioning really drives the old electricity bill up, it will be saved for really, really, hot days, not just warm ones.  I could, I suppose, get in my car, crank the a/c up to a comfy level and just ride around town.  Downside? That would waste gas.

During the day, we own enough fans and get enough of a cross breeze between rooms, that it isn't uncomfortable - yet.  I know the day is coming when sitting on a leather sofa will be more like sticking on the sofa.  

When I go to bed, what I really like is a cold room.  We leave one bedroom window open all winter long.  It's not open all the way, but several inches or so to bring the cold air in.  Perfect sleeping weather.

So like I did as a child, when the temperature seemed too hot to go to sleep, I flopped and flipped around until eventually I fell asleep.  Of course, before I do, there is an internal cussing going on in my head, about a warm bedroom.  

The temperature downstairs by evening is quite comfortable.  Since heat rises, it obviously goes up to the bedroom.  Curses.  Years ago we took a trip to see Jeff's Aunt Ruby in Arkansas.  When we got to her house, the downstairs was blissfully cool.  And then we went upstairs where we would all sleep.  With each step we took, it felt like we were getting closer to hell - it was that hot.  She did have a fan, but it had steel blades and no cover, so she warned all of us not to touch the fan - we didn't.  

This morning, at least right now, is a comfortable temperature.  The back of our house, which is all window, faces west, which means that I close all the blinds before noon in an attempt to keep the sun out.  

Okay, I'm done complaining about the temperature - for the moment.  I can't promise that I won't revisit this topic when it's not just warm out, but hot and humid!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...