Saturday, May 9, 2015

Wrestling in the Mud? Or Working in the Yard?

5/9/2015

Yesterday, I took it upon myself because I have so much endurance (not) and shocker to all of you I know, not very strong! But all of that being aside, I was determined to put my new plants in the ground, yesterday and by myself.  Sounds easy enough? Well, it would if I weren't part of the equation!

I took my four new plants into the backyard, grabbed my gardening gloves (a necessity), a shovel and a towel to sit on and a chair that I could use to either (a) rest or (b) grab onto when I wanted to get up; and or (c) sit on when I was pooped.  Who you ask couldn't make putting holes in the ground armed as I was.  The answer was/is me!

I bought two plants that were pretty large requiring deep holes. Bursting with enthusiasm, I stood up and grabbed the shovel and sunk it into the ground - oh maybe down an inch.  I had a long way to go before that hole was deep enough for the plant.  I didn't give up - nope not me - and I didn't ask Jeff because he was still at work.

So I moved around my dinky hole and could definitely make the hole wider, but bigger was looking to be more of a problem.  The oak tree has a large root stuck in the middle of the hole.  I decided that I could dig around it - found out I can't.  After what I thought was a lot of digging, I took said plant out of it's plastic container and put it in the hole.  It wasn't too bad, there was only about 3 inches of plant above the hole!  

I then decided it would be better if the dirt was wet.  It would make for easier digging, in theory anyway.  I flooded the hole and everything around it, including myself.  The shovel and I went back to work in the mud and though the ground was now soft, it made digging no less easier.  At this point, I seriously considered asking Jeff to dig holes for me, but I really wanted to do it on my own, and that was a big mistake.

I stepped backward which caused me to lose my balance and down I went in the mud.  Then I was furious.  My clothes were filthy and so was I.  The only saving grave, and lord knows I needed one, is that I didn't fall face first into the mud.  If I had, there would not have been enough swear words to adequately describe my anger. I did though manage to completely crush a Hosta plant when I fell!  It's too soon to know if the "patient" will recover from being flattened. 

I took my muddy, wet dripping self in the house and went straight to the laundry room.  I took off my shirt because it was white (originally) and wanted to put bleach in the washing machine.  So my muddy, drippy wet pants were unceremoniously plopped into the kitchen sink, waiting for the white shirt to be ready to go into the dryer.

Once I had eliminated most of the mud down the drain in the kitchen, I went upstairs and headed for the shower.  I was frankly about as dirty as my clothes were.

Where are things now?  I have three plants sitting in plastic pots waiting for holes.  I may have to suck up my pride and ego and ask Jeff to dig holes!  In case he asks, I wanted to put plants in the backyard for my viewing pleasure.  Well, that was the hope anyway.  

I am happy to report that the plants I put in the ground last year, came up this year!  Will wonders never cease. 

I guess in the next day or so, I'll have to address the issue of the plants in the Home Depot plastic pots.  I can't leave them in there forever.  Maybe if I used a great big spoon for digging I would be more successful!  :)

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...