Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Happy Veterans' Day

11/11/2015

Today, we celebrate our Veterans - the old, the young, the disabled as well as those who have died.  My father was in the Air Force for 20+ years, I can't remember exactly how many.  He retired while we were living in California.  

I remember the day of his retirement ceremony Dad had to wear his dress blues.  This was a bit of a worry to him, because he hadn't worn that uniform in a very long time.  He fit into the uniform, but unfortunately couldn't button the top button near the collar.  He put on his tie and did his best to make the shirt look like it was closed.

When the officer came down the row of retirees, and stopped at Dad, Dad just knew that the officer could tell that his top button was undone.  Dad was nervous under the scrutiny of the officer and was just hoping he would go on to another retiree.

Dad was proud of his time in the Air Force.  We moved around a bit and lived in some amazing places.  Others - not so much.  We lived in England, Liverpool to be exact; Everaux, France, Kansas and two bases in California.

The problem with moving around every 3 years or so, you don't develop any long time friendships.  You know and I know that when somebody is leaving, everybody promises to keep in touch.  And they don't and you don't.  Whatever you had in common with that person is now in the past and most of us deal with the here and now.

Dad was also sure after he retired, that we would starve to death, because he only knew how to do one thing - supply storage.  Good news is we didn't starve.  Dad did find a job, and even better, one he liked a great deal.

I say thanks to Dad and every other Veteran today.  And Dad I miss you.


USAF Master Sergeant E-7 Metal Rank Insignia Pair

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...