Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Home Town




11/4/2015

Many years ago, I had an opportunity while visiting my aunt, to return to the little town where I spent my high school years.  That ride through town, which was very small, didn't take much time, but allowed me to relive so many memories.

During high school, it was my job to go to the post office to collect the mail.  We, and everyone else, had a little metal box that looked like this:

 

My aunt drove me past the post office, the tiny grocery store and Minny's "department" store.  Minny's was a wonderful place to browse.  When you walked in the store, the smell of old permeated your senses.  The store carried a bit of this and that.  Think of Woolworth's downsized by 90%!

I just checked out Fisher, Illinois' website.  Sadly, there is no Minny's department store, but there are a lot more stores in town then there used to be.

My aunt and I went to the local cemetery, where my grandfather is buried.  I have never felt the need or desire to visit graves, but I made an exception this time.

I saw again my high school, which back in 1967 was small.  The classes were small too, I think my graduating class had something like 42 of us.  Since there were so few of us (in the big picture), we all decorated the homecoming float, we all participated in the senior play, and we all went to the parties.  It was an idealistic way to spend teenage years.  


  Fisher High School














So there you have it.  Small town USA.  It was a wonderful place to be a teenager and I have many fond memories of my years living in this small town.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...