Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Thing That Lives Under the Porch!

11/3/2015

We have an animal(s) living under our front porch.  Jeff and I both think he/she/they have been having a wonderful time under the porch for a long time.  And, as we seldom saw them, we just put it out of our minds.

In the last month, our animal must be hungry, because I've stepped out on the front porch and he's walking on the sidewalk.  He hurries to get under the porch, and I hurry to get back inside the house!  This is not a win/win for either of us.

Since he's becoming more visible and brave or stupid, depending on how you feel, we have decided that we must hire a trapper to remove the animal(s) from under the porch.  This morning I have called several trapping companies and it's going to cost us money to trap this guy.  As it turns out, it's a lot of money with no guarantee of success.

Three days of trapping will cost anywhere from $300 to $395.  That's a lot of money to spend, particularly if the trap comes up empty.  Oh and the fee is for only three days of trapping.  If you need a few more days to try and catch the animal, that's going to cost extra too.  

I guess we have two choices: leave the critter under the porch (and we think he's been under there for some time, we've just not seen him before now) for the winter; or spend money that may or may not capture him.  

Little known facts about a groundhog:   Their burrows generally have two to five entrances, the tunnels can be as long as 46 feet and 5 feet underground. One person dug out 11 groundhog dens.  They can do serious damage to building foundations.  We are lucky, I think, that the porch where this guy lives hasn't started to lean!  

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...