Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Where Has The Time Gone?

11/17/2015

Next week is Thanksgiving.  That seems impossible because it just seems like yesterday when I was wearing my "shorty" pants, and complaining about the heat!  I also know that we aren't human if we don't have or can't find something to complain about.

A trip to WalMart last week confirmed that turkey day is just around the corner, but so is Christmas.  The stores are filled with Christmas decorations and the outside of those stores are decked out with Christmas lights.

I am an advanced shopper.  I haven't been to an actual mall in years, because everything that I think I want or know I want, I can get on line.  Once upon a time, I really enjoyed going into stores and seeing all the beautiful clothes and jewelry on display.  And then I got old(er) and the parking lot woes and the jostling by other shoppers dampened my gift buying spirit.

My family knows that I start my search for just the right gifts early.  This year is no exception.  And because my family has also told me that I'm very difficult to buy for - and I disagree - I have created a wish list on Amazon to make things easier for them.

We have no real plans for Thanksgiving.  Last year we went to Bob Evans and had a lovely meal, which even included some 'tovers' for the next day!  This year will probably be no different.  I could buy a turkey breast and fix some other dishes, but for some reason the sound of that makes me weary.  It's very hard to cook for two people.  And you would think that since the boys left home years ago, I'd have been able to adapt.  But, sadly no.  I over estimate how much to fix time and time again.  Perhaps wishful thinking and memories of cooking for the boys.  Nobody appreciates good food like boys and men do, and my guys were no exception.

My grandmother and grandfather used to raise turkeys.  They kept the hens and Toms away from one another, but that didn't keep the noise level down one bit!  I remember Grandma asking my brother and I to go down to the area where the turkeys were and using a short rubber hose try and "convince" the turkeys to get off of the metal roof of the turkey feeder.  Apparently, turkeys are so dumb that they will keep standing on the roof even when their feet get hot.  I can assure you that getting turkeys down, was a very messy process.  Turkeys have a wide wing span and can easily bat you in the face, sometimes with and sometimes without bird poo.  Yuck is all I can say.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...