Thursday, November 26, 2015

Turkey Day

11/26/2015

Today, people will overeat, because everybody knows you can't start a diet in the middle of the week.  Or at least that's how we rationalize eating when were not even hungry!

Today, a lot of folks, mostly men I think, will digest their meal in front of the television, while watching football.  I'm lucky in that Jeff only watches one game all year - the Super Bowl - and he watches that mostly for the commercials!

Today, people who aren't taking a nap or watching television, will find themselves wandering to the stores for the start of what used to be Black Friday, but now includes Black Thursday as well.  Looking at the ads today, you can quickly see what the stores want you to buy, and televisions is at the top of the list.  

We're going to start cooking "Tom" around noon and it should take 3-4 hours before he's ready to eat.  We're going to have stuffing, which is Jeff's department.  Cooking cranberries I can handle as well as mashed potatoes, which are definitely in my wheel house!  Jeff does gravy and I'll do a vegetable.

We bought pecan pie and apple crisp, but won't be cooking both of those today.  When you eat pecan pie, it is so sweet that you can almost feel the cavities popping up in your mouth.  This, however, does not deter anyone from eating the pie, far from it.  Instead of actually cutting a piece of pie to eat, I find it's more fun to "nibble" away at the pie.  Somehow I have convinced myself that by only nibbling, I'm not taking in as many calories - which is a joke I know.

After eating, we may go to one or two stores, who are advertising tools and other manly items.  Ads for jewelry and clothing don't even merit my time, they go straight into the recycling box.  I've already bought Benjamin's presents so I don't have a need to go to Toys-R-Us (thank goodness).  

Since our meal is simple, the only big clean-up is taking proper care of "Tom" after we're finished eating.  I suspect we'll be eating turkey for several days, and by Christmas won't even consider another turkey. 

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

P


Image result for picture of turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...