Saturday, November 14, 2015

Sorrow for France

11/14/2015

The tragedy that occurred in Paris yesterday, was unfathomable.  What has happened to our world?  While the 60's were filled with controversy - drugs, hippies and rock 'n roll, those were mild times compared to what's happening today.

While Jeff reminds me that I don't usually read the "A" section of the paper.  I have a good reason.  More times than not, the front page has a story of violence that has occurred somewhere in the world.  My in-laws went to Egypt sometime in the 70's and had a wonderful time.  I, too, would like to go to Egypt and see the pyramids, but am really afraid of traveling in the Middle East.  

Sometimes I think we're safer at home, but then you read about somebody, most of them with a mental problem unfortunately, taking a gun and killing innocent people.  What has happened to people?  Though guns kill people, I'm not a proponent for taking away the right to have them.  Just that some people, and I don't know how you would manage this, shouldn't own a gun.

I remember when the boys were young, one of the boys was having a sleepover.  The father of the child asked Jeff and I if we kept guns in our house.  If so, the boy wouldn't be allowed to stay.  Before that it had never occurred to me to ask someone if they owned guns.  I was/am either ignorant or blissfully unaware of guns and who owns them.  It's a question that was never on my radar while parenting.  

So yesterday, people were out enjoying themselves on a peaceful Friday and then all hell broke loose.  My sympathy goes out to those people who had family members injured or killed.  One hundred twenty people lost their lives, countless others injured.  ISIS has claimed responsibility.

Buildings around the world are lighting up with France's colors.  Hoping for peace in the coming days.

P


The blue, white and red colors of France's national flag are projected onto the sails of Sydney's Opera House on Saturday following the attacks in Paris.San Francisco City Hall:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...