Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Stuff

1/22/2019

I have several things I want to write about today, hence the title.

First, let's talk about straws. I don't know about you, but when we were at a restaurant with Mom and Dad, my brother and I found it such fun to blow bubbles into the glass.  My parents didn't like that behavior, to say the least.

And, for 100 years (actually not that long), straws used by restaurants as well as fast food places, gave you straws for your drinks. Doing a bit of research, gotta love Google, a bit of history. In 1888 the first patent for drinking straws made out of paper. Who knew? 

In the 1950's, plastic straws became popular, followed by bending straws. More history: the plastic straw can take up to 200 years to decompose. That's a very long time.Certainly, longer than I'm going to be around.

Journals: I don't know about you, but I have several journals, which are sitting on my desk, and they are pretty much all blank. My blank paged journals, for the most part, aren't anything to write home about (catchy). Oh, I may start to write in a journal, only to put it away, and forget about it. If, I do use the journal, I at least put the date on the pages that I have written. Of course, this also means that it's been "x" days/months or even years, since I've returned to journaling (sp). In today's paper, there is a company that sells truly high end journals.

These journals are called, The Erin Condren Life Planner. Said journal arrives in a beautiful package. It arrives in a pink and white box, and the journal itself, is apparently a thing of beauty. The cover of the journal is adorned with azure peacock plumes (not real ones, of course), and in delicate script, your name. When you receive this "journal", if you can call it that, you will, at least for awhile, can't wait to get started writing. And, then you don't. Cost? Somewhere in the neighborhood of $30.00 to $70.00. If I paid $70.00 for a journal, you better believe that I would try my hardest to fill that sucker up. There are many other journals out there, including, "The Passion Journal", which includes a gratitude log, which wants you to reflect on the past, but also act on the present.  Most people, liken writing in a journal, to exercising more. It seems like fun in the beginning, but as the days go by, you are less likely to write or exercise. We all like things that are new, because of the endless opportunities that might awake you.  Or not.

I guess blogging every day, is my form of journaling (sp). I can, if I want to, go back to anyone of the 1900+ entries and see what I was thinking or worrying about. For ease of use, the Erin Condren Life Planner also will sell you coil clips bundle for $19.00 and change. I'm 100% positive that there is nothing original about her clips, and that clips of any kind, are a dime a dozen.

I bought large metal clips to use to seal up food bags - chips, cereal, etc. These clips are wonderful and they do the job quite nicely. In reality, I should buy more clips, because all of the ones I currently have, are now in use!

Short Person Clothes:

It has long been discussed, that clothing companies don't really address the problem of clothes that fit "round" people (me for example). The pants are always too long as are the sleeves. The alteration lady knows me on sight, and always know that everything I bring her is too long. I just picked up the first batch of pants to be shortened. Yesterday, I put on one of these newly hemmed jeans, which are just the right length. Expensive? You bet. Worth it? Double bet. I hate wearing shirts and/or sweaters where I have to make cuffs, to achieve the right length. So, a nicely altered piece of clothing makes me very happy. Since I tend to wear only clothes with elastic waists, fixing the waist is never a problem.

Perhaps snow this evening. Not a lot of snow, but snow nonetheless.  Snow in the forecast, makes our local weatherman very happy. But, not everybody feels the same!

P





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...