Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Airplane Food - Now and Then

4/3/2019

Some of you, myself included, remember when traveling was a BIG deal. Most passengers, dressed up a bit, and at that time, nobody wore torn jeans. Actually, at that time torn jeans wasn't a "thing". 

Food on flights today, differ a WHOLE BUNCH from food, let's say back in the day. When I flew, which wasn't often to be sure, the food served was actually FOOD! In the 70's is when airplane food became distinctive by class. If you were in economy, the food options, if there were any, were limited. While all passengers were able to have a cocktail on board, you were charged for those drinks. The cost of cocktails were inexpensive (see menu below) by today's standards. These low prices could be the reason a passenger might get a "little tipsy"!

Let's talk about airplane food today. If you've taken a recent flight, in the "cheap" seats, you were served peanuts and a soda. But, in 2011, several airlines stopped serving peanuts. It seems that current passengers would take cheaper flights, and worry less about amenities. The last time I flew commercially, was more than a few years ago. And, yes, at that time it was peanuts and a soda. So, the snacking on several airlines is now a choice of pretzels, or cookies.

Oh, let's talk about service aboard planes today. In the past, stewardesses wore uniforms and provided their passengers with outstanding service. To be sure, there are still uniforms for stewardesses today, but the actual service, at least in economy, gets iffy. Just because, us unfortunate passengers who can't afford first class, doesn't mean that we're any less important to the airline, than first class. And, it seems likely that most flights are made up of more economy than first class passengers. So show us a little love please.

Now, a lot of passengers bring their own food with them. I think that's a fine idea, if you aren't bringing in stinky food. What foods are deemed to be stinky? To name just a few, blue cheese, onions, tuna and sauerkraut, are probably food that you likely shouldn't bring on board. There are plenty of other food options you could bring on the plane, but as a courtesy to those around you, think about what you're going to eat. 

Speaking of courtesy, a lot of people take off their shoes off during the flight. This is okay, unless your feet are odorous. It just might be that you have become immune to the odor of your feet, but I can tell you that the other passengers aren't.

You press that "magic button", which calls the stewardess, and their arrival to your seat, might not be as quick as you would like. I have, in fact, have a stewardess who jumps into action - like having a hot flash during a flight. Yup, that was me. And, to make matters worse, it was my very first hot flash.

Jeff and I have been moved to first class, on at least one flight. I can't remember the circumstances, but it memory serves me correctly, and we all know how my memory works, they moved us to first class on the flight for my Father's funeral.

My message to self, is whenever possible, travel on N874T with Jeff as the pilot. There are a lot less restrictions, but definitely no pretzels!

P


Related image


 Related image
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...