Friday, April 5, 2019

Security

4/5/2019

I remember a time, and perhaps you do as well, when all your mail (bills, etc) were merely just tossed in the trash. Okay, by today's standards,  there is real worry about your personal information (i.e., address, account numbers, etc.) being taken by an "evil person". I can't think of a good enough word to describe this kind of person, so evil it is.

If your personal information gets out there, and steals your identity, well you're pretty much screwed. You cancel your credit cards, and any other relevant information, such as your birthday. And, stealing a medicare card, can create a mess. When you call Medicare, you are put on hold for what seems like forever. Of course, they encourage you to leave a message. Will they call back? Basically, that is a crap shoot.

Years ago, there was a movie, based on actual facts, where a person (man), managed to get hold of a pilot uniform, and actually flew planes. He went on to becoming a doctor and a parish prosecutor.  He also used his paychecks, to transform the actual numbers to the number that he wanted! This man was very, very good at his job. He also went to medical school (don't ask me how). Tom Hanks, was the main character (Frank Abagnale) in this movie, and as usual, did an outstanding job.

All good things have to go by the wayside, and for the Frank, he was guilty of check fraud, among other things. When all the dust was settled, the FBI hired him to catch other check forgers. What a circle of events for this man. But, we all know that what goes up, eventually has to come down.

In the last few days, I have taken all the paid bills, etc., and have gone through every bill, and cut out all the relevant information. This is a tedious task, but one that needs to be done. I start a movie, and watch with one eye on the movie, and the other eye, looking for pertinent information on documents about us.

Going forward, I hope that I can get a better handle on paperwork. Because, frankly dealing with this much paper, is very time consuming and boring!

Even when I'm done with this round of paper (3 full bankers' boxes), there is much more paper that will have to be shredded, or all information about our customers and their credit card info as well. I know that it eventually needs to be done, but at the moment those customers' receipts are in filing cabinets in the basement. If Jeff and I didn't feel some obligation to our customers, then we would toss all that paper in the trash can. But, we simply can't do that, it's not what we do.

Gray skies and light rain is our weather today. Benjamin and I were going to have Jeff drive us to the movie theater, but for today, but I think we'll pass. There's always tomorrow.

Happy Friday.

P


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...