Monday, April 22, 2019

Sunny Monday

4/22/2019

For all of you who work, and I know that's a lot of you, it's always nice when the week starts off as a beautiful day. Monday is probably the first day of the week, that nobody enjoys. At least, I didn't when I worked!

Happy late Easter everybody.  Yesterday, as most Sundays, I didn't blog. Not that I didn't have anything to say, but felt that I had nothing "real" to write. I know that doesn't make sense.

I remember, when the boys were young, that Easter was a big deal for them. Easter baskets, that horrible shredded "grass" that went everywhere. And last, but not least, chocolate. Bunnies for sure, and if you don't know this, I'll tell you that the proper way to eat a chocolate bunny is bite the ears off first! I guess that's so they can't hear you munching on the rest of the body! 

Boiling eggs. Again, years ago, Jeff and I would boil somewhere between 12-18 eggs. Newspaper was laid out on the table. We put those little colored tablets into a mixture of vinegar and water. Once the tablets were dissolved, then the fun really began. The first few Easters, the boys just dunked their eggs into only one color. And, then later, they took the eggs and put them in several different cups. Doing this, was fun for them, but we ended up with more than a few ugly eggs. Visually, the eggs turned gray, which I didn't then, nor do I today, believe that these multi-colored eggs (i.e., gray)  are among the "proper" and time honored colors: pink, blue, yellow, green and purple for example.

Do you remember those little stickers that came in the dye box? For years, we tried to get those stickers actually onto the eggs. Nope, not happening. 

After bedtime, the bunnies went to work. Again, when younger, you could put eggs just about anywhere. Inside their shoes, behind a pillow, or sitting on top of a chair. Fun (actually not fun) fact, the bunny should always count the number of eggs that were distributed. One year, Jeff and I lost count, but it didn't take long for the "aroma" to invade our senses. We only made that mistake once. We are, after all, quick learners.

When the boys were older, the bunny started getting really creative about hiding. One year, we put an egg on one of the ceiling fan blades. It took them forever to find it. And. what hunt would be fun, if some kind of hunt was involved. Years ago, we would tell the boys they were getting hot or cold. And, because we had once lost count of the eggs, we remembered how many eggs we used, and more importantly where those eggs were!

I'm sure that you ladies all wore your Easter Bonnets yesterday. As children, my sister and I were always dressed in some kind of scratchy dress, white socks with ruffels and occasionally a hat as well. Of course, that was in the day when people dressed up when they were going to church, watch a performance, etc.

When we first moved here, we took the boys to an egg hunt put on by the local town. Scott was not very successful in finding many eggs. Andrew stepped into help him and by the time the hunt was over, both baskets we
re full!

I hope you had a happy Easter (a bit late on my part). 

P


Image result for picture of elegant easter bonnet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...