Wednesday, April 17, 2019

National Treasure

4/17/2019

Yesterday, people mourned all over the world when Notre-Dam caught on fire. The damage to this very old Catholic cathedral. A bit of history: the building started in 1163 and was finished in 1345. That's a lot of years ago. Odiously, over time the cathedral has had some repairs. This cathedral holds, among it's treasures, the Crown of Thrones.

Watching the report of this fire on television, is probably, for the French people, is akin to the damage done here in 2001.

As a child, while Dad was stationed in France, we went to see the Notre-Dam. I was young, maybe 7 or 8 at the time, and was not impressed (who is at that age?) by the glorious stained glass windows, and the architecture of the building itself. What I remember was a dark and cold building. But, I was a young child, and found, like so many children would, boring. My brother and I were not particularly an old church, as we were wondering when did we get to eat! Such is the mindset of young children. 

One of the treasures inside the cathedral was/is the Crown of Thorns which was gifted around 1231. Apparently, yesterday, Parisians formed a human chain to save as many relics as they could, the Crown of Thorns being one of them.

This cathedral is one of the most popular places to visit while in Paris. There is, of course, Arc de Triumph, the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.     

You really become sad when you think of all the hundreds of years, that this Cathedral has withstood the measure of time. Over the years, the Cathedral received necessary renovations (not to change the Cathedral) but to bolster up aging pieces.

If you find yourself in Paris, this Cathedral is definitely a must see. I know that if was to visit it now, as an adult, I would stand in awe of the beautiful stained glass windows, as well as the immensity of the building itself.

Vive La France, which means patriotism to the French people.

 P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...