Sunday, January 6, 2013

Downton Abby




1/6/2013

Downton Abby
 
I don’t know if you love this show as much as Jeff and I do, but be aware that season three starts on Sunday.  My Tivo is prepped to record, because Sunday night seems to always have the best television and requires a certain amount of juggling to fit everything in.

In an article in The Washington Post I was able to find a list of foods  that a family and/or staff possibly would eat during the period of time being depicted.  Some of the dishes sound downright reasonable and others not so much.

French 75: a sparking wine cocktail

Deviled Eggs: no explanation needed.  Probably the same today as then.

Broiled Oysters with Peach and Paprika:  Okay, I would definitely pass on this one.

Basic Roast Chicken:  Still a staple in many homes today.

Beef and Guinness Stew:  Sounds yummy but this dish was definitely made for the staff.  Uppers didn’t eat stew!

Shepherd’s Pie:  Another down under the stairs dish.  And one I like very much.

Shiitake Beef Wellingtons:  I was fine right up to the mushrooms, which I just can’t stand.

Irish Whiskey Cake:  Probably not recommended for children or tea drinkers.

Victoria Sandwich Cake:  Sounds yummy to me.

Sticky Toffee Pudding:  I know just by the name that I would love this dessert very much.

So on Sunday night, grab your pint of ice cream, which requires no preparation, except for getting the spoon out of the drawer and sit down and enjoy a really good show.  Oh and in keeping with appearances remember to raise your pinkies when drinking your tea!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...