Sunday, January 13, 2013

Neighboring States

1/13/2013

Neighboring States

For many of you you probably don't live a bridge crossing away from a neighboring state but in Maryland we do.  We also live very close to Pennsylvania, West Virginia as well as D.C.  The residents of all four states think nothing of crossing state lines on a regular basis.  The distance between states is so close it's not even worth packing a lunch for - because you're not going to need it.

There is between Virginia and Maryland a small, friendly rivalry (reminds me of the Redskins and Cowboy football teams).  Residents of each state are convinced, as they should be, that they live in the BEST state and they are prepared to defend their state's honor.

Some quick differences between the states is what food they are known for.  In Maryland everyone knows it's crabs and Virginia is all about hams and peanuts.  Virginia has more people than Maryland which may account for the near constant road construction and colossal traffic jams.  Local folks know that you can't use your radar detectors in Virginia and that the highway patrol is ever vigilant so you had better keep your foot pressing lightly on the gas.  Of course Maryland is known for a growing number of speed and red light cameras, which I'm sure provides a nice revenue stream.

George Washington lived with us in Maryland while Thomas Jefferson preferred Virginia. Back in their day you would have needed to pack a lunch and perhaps a dinner to go visit another state.  Maybe that explains why letter writing was so popular.  That and the fact that email and telephones hadn't been invented yet.

There was an interesting statistic in the paper yesterday that there are more registered firearms in Virginia than in Maryland - but - Maryland had more violent crimes.  That makes you think just a bit.

Virginians must inspect their vehicles once a year while over here on the easy side it's only necessary when buying or selling your car.  Sales tax in Virginia is 5% while in Maryland is 6% so crossing state lines for large ticket items might be worth the trip as well as the gas!

Since it's Sunday I decided a quote was needed and I found one that I really liked.

Thought for the day:  "Mistakes are a fact of life.  It is the response to error that counts.”  -Nikki Giovanni

You will have to wait until tomorrow for a brisket update.  I will be cooking said meat later today.  Once I'm finished writing this, I'm off to get the tv guide for the week and my yellow marker.  I plan out my television watching (I can only imagine what you're thinking right now) and sometimes the logistics of planning Sunday night television almost requires an advanced degree!

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...