Monday, January 14, 2013

Brisket - Part Deux

1/14/2013

Brisket - Part Deux

When I left you my brisket was still lounging around in the refrigerator and wasn't "dressed".  Around 9:00 yesterday I made up some kind of concoction consisting of liquid smoke, paprika, oregano, chili powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper.  I rubbed this mess all over the top side and put the brisket in between two sheets of foil before I slid him into a 200 degree oven for the remainder of the day.

By the time I decided it was time to have dinner, the brisket had been cooking for about 9 hours.  Everything I read seemed to stress long and slow.  I cut off several pieces of meat for dinner which still left enough meat on the cutting board to feed a small city.

Suffice it to say that the meat was superb.  It's not the most tender piece of meat I've ever eaten but it tasted great.  Today's lunch consists of some dinner leftovers so I can hardly wait.  I wouldn't recommend brisket if you are in a hurry but if you've got all day - it's a pretty good piece of meat.

Next dilemma is - of course - what to do with the rest of the beef!  I suppose one option would be to shred it and use it in a future dish.  Likely the piece (still looks like a slab to me) will be cut up in some fashion or another and put in the freezer for another day.

Have a great Monday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...