Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

1/1/2013

Happy New Year

How many times in the coming weeks will you forget and write down 2012?  From experience I know that it's more than just a few times until your brain permanently disengages from the old year.  Jeff and I were watching a movie last night and actually saw in the new year.  Have to say as I headed up for bed, it felt exactly like the old year.

On my here's hoping list of things that I would like to see happen this year is:

  1. World peace.  You can't start a list without that one - it's never gonna happen - but you must list it anyway.
  2. I would like Congress to actually accomplish something this year.  I believe most of us agree on this one.  Cross the party lines and fix something - anything.  That's what they get the big bucks and all the perks for.
  3. Legalize gay marriages in all states and give ALL relationships the same rights.  
  4. Provide better and accessible mental health to everyone.  This is a biggie in my book.
  5. Get tougher on drunk drivers and aggressive ones as well.
  6. Protect the children.
  7. Feed the hungry.
It's not a long list I know but it's my top beefs in no particular order.  I'll check in at the end of the year and we'll see how much has been accomplished - but I'm not holding my breath on some of these issues.

Tomorrow officially marks the end of the "fa la la" season and everybody who has been off since the 24th will stagger back into their offices and face the mountain of emails that are waiting for them.  Christmas decorations will be taken down in cubbies and returned to the filing room to collect dust for another year.  Old calendars will be taken down and replaced with fresh new ones that have not yet been scribbled on.  Leftover and stale holiday goodies will be tossed out for two reasons: (1) they're stale and (2) everybody wants to start the new year off without overdosing on sugar in the first few days.

It is a new year and it feels like one.  Everybody starts on a new page and has another year within which to make history, make a difference, make amends or make new friends.  What you do with the new year is entirely up to you - ultimately you control you and the things that you do.  Let's raise our coffee cups to the possibilities of the new year.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...