Saturday, January 5, 2013

Routines



1/5/2012
 
Routines

Though Sam and Maggie cannot communicate with words – they do manage to get their wishes known using other canine methods.  For instance, in the mornings when my alarm goes off, I am safe up and until I turn off my CPAP machine.  Once I have done that all bets are off about snoozing just a bit longer.  Maggie, in particular, believes that her throat has been cut during the night and she will perish without her food NOW.  Sam, isn’t much of a morning eater, but he MUST pee on the boxwood by the front porch every morning and every night before he goes to bed.  I do feel sorry for the boxwood.

While Sam is busy outside sniffing around to make sure that he gets the correct bush, Maggie is busy dancing around in circles waiting for Sam to return and the eating to begin.

Sam gets a very little amount of food in the morning compared to what Maggie has in her bowl.  Doesn’t matter.  It’s a no contest about who finishes first – yep Maggie every time.  Sam seems to enjoy every bite that he takes while Maggie, like most labs, is an “inhaler”.  The food disappears quickly and often before I have even got a cup of coffee warmed up!

Once fed the dogs return to the bed where Jeff remains sleeping and now they are quite content to spend hours lounging.  They aren’t exactly couch potatoes – definitely more bed potatoes.  Once the blinds are opened, they can patrol while resting on the bed and without having to move anything heavier than eyelids.  A perfect world.

In the afternoon when I get home the dogs receive their small package of “burger” food.  This is Sam’s favorite so the package is divided 90% for Sam and 10% Maggie.  If I want any peace when I get home, I must feed them immediately and THEN I can change my clothes and read the paper.  If I delay, there is a lot of pushing and barking until I notice them.

Television time is generally quiet but there is a fair amount of jostling between Sam and Maggie for the coveted middle spot on the sofa.  Our sofa has recliners on both ends – so those are definitely not designated as dog sitting spots.  But the middle cushion is a highly desirable piece of real estate in the dog world.  You will normally find Sam smack dab in the middle of the cushion with Maggie looking forlornly at Jeff and I.  What she wants of course is for us to “encourage” Sam to move.  Sam is willing to sit on a lap but this requires cajoling on our part.  Once Sam has moved, sometimes reluctantly, Maggie moves in.  The sofa at this point is full and no person or animal wants to get up and leave an empty spot that would then be ripe for invasion.

How do the dogs know when it’s time to go to bed?  Once the television and the lights are off, Sam bolts off the sofa like he is rocket fueled.  He KNOWS that it’s time to get to go out front and mark his favorite bush once again.  Once he has done that, he is quite happy to go upstairs and claim the best spot on the bed. 

It amazes Jeff and I how easily the two dogs maneuver for position.  Maggie was already here when we adopted Sam.  Initially, it wasn’t pretty; but, now they seem to respect the other’s rights to the prime spot in the bed – the middle equipped with a pillow!

My dogs, and likely yours as well, don’t need clocks to tell them what time it is, simple routine marks their days and deviations are upsetting.  Jeff is traveling next week which means that Sam will miss him to the point of not eating.  Last time Jeff was gone Sam went into a steady decline all week and I was convinced he was going to need medical attention.  The minute Jeff came home, Sam became the bouncing terrier he always is – he just missed Jeff and he showed it by not eating and doing a fair amount of crying.  I think next week I will give Sam an old shirt of Jeff’s to lay on, perhaps that will help.

When Benjamin visits the routine and hierarchy changes a bit.  That coveted spot on the sofa?  It becomes Ben’s place and Maggie makes sure we know she is displeased by shooting us looks with the saddest eyes possible.   As for the bed – that prime middle spot becomes Benjamin’s as well.  I have on more than one occasion heard Benjamin speak up in the middle of the night to tell Maggie to move because once Benjamin is asleep Maggie begins to push herself in between Benjamin and Jeff.

Once trained, dogs as well as cats, fall into the rhythm of a household easily and they don’t like change very much.  Since I don’t like change either, Sam, Maggie and I get along famously with our near constant routine.

P

1 comment:

  1. Dogs are pretty smart.....they understand our language, they can communicate with us in their language or actions and I think in our case they are the ones who direct our routines. They make a family complete and become family members....they have truly gotten into our hearts!

    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...