Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Christmas Movies and Things

12/6/2016

It's the time of the year when television is awash in all things Christmasy (sp).  People are in one or two camps when it comes to these movies.  You hate them and would rather watch anything, even football; or, like me you love these sappy love stories.  Nothing seriously bad happens in a Christmas movie.  Nope, it's roses and rainbows and I'm okay with that.

There are the classics: Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life are both old movies that come to mind.  I personally haven't watched either of these movies in a very long time and looking into the future, and yes I can do that, don't think I'll watch them this year either.

And then we have the Hallmark movies.  Their movies are full of sappiness and their commercials are almost as good as the movies.  All of their movies have pretty much the same players: a girl and a guy.  There's some sort of friction between them, and because it's a Hallmark movie, ends with the girl and the guy being together.  This type of movie will never win anybody an Oscar or Emmy, but if you're a devoted romantic, then settle down with popcorn and enjoy the show.

Benjamin is coming next week to stay for a few days.  And, I need to think of things to do.  We can go to the movies, which is always fun and the there is a Festival of Lights in a local park, where you drive around the displays.  Even though it might or would be cold, it would be cool to drive through in Jeff's car with the top down!

On Sunday, I carefully read my TV Guide looking for Christmas specials that are geared toward children.  I have recorded them all.  I have also included a few of my favorites and one in particular that I really enjoy: Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation.  I could watch that movie multiple times and it would never get old.  Benjamin likes to watch Shrek movies when he's here, and because I make a "fuss" about absolutely NOT watching a Shrek movie, it's what we obviously end up watching.  I've watched the Shrek movies so often, I think I know the dialog by heart!  Benjamin loves that I tell, actually more like fake begging, to not put a Shrek movie in the DVD player.  We both know that this is a game we play religiously, and it gives us both a giggle, because we both know our parts so well!

Yesterday, I went to the post office with the 4A company holiday cards that include a 2017 calendar magnet inside.  I made quick work of getting the right number and amount of stamps needed, but as I stood at the counter putting on stamps, I was amazed at the number of people who didn't seem to have a clue about what they were doing.  Certified mail seemed to be an overwhelming task for several people in line.  Now I know I worked in an office, but even if I hadn't, the instructions are pretty clear.  Address of recipient on one side and address of the sender on the other side.  Then all you have to do is decide what other options you want, return receipt, etc.

I can't help feeling a bit, okay maybe more than a bit, smug about getting my post office duty out of the way so early.  I am OCD about things and find I cannot rest if there is some type of job to be done outside the house.  Go to the post office and stores during the week, when foot traffic is minimal.  For certain Christmas presents this year, timing of the purchase was a necessity IF I wanted that gift to arrive by Christmas.  Unfortunately for me, my shopping is just about done.  This fact would fill most people with joy, but for me it means the end of the hunt for the right gift for the right person.  I still have our Christmas cards to send, but there aren't that many and I stopped typing up a newsy letter of our year a long time ago.  Jeff and I live a rather simple and unexciting life.  We did fly to the Bahamas this year, we bought Jeff a "new" car and we rescued two puppies.   Hm, that's about all there is to report, except we're both another year older - and that's hardly news!

We're supposed to get rain today and the 10 day forecast calls for perhaps a "s" event (snow or sleet).  It would be beautiful if we had a white Christmas and then it could all melt the next day!

Have a good day - it's time for a nap!

P



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...