Friday, December 2, 2016

Dogs and Children

12/2/2016

You may be wondering what dogs and children have in common.  Answer: bright, new and shiny things.  You know the cartoon where the dog is doing something, and someone yells squirrel, and the dog is immediately distracted?  Children are kind of like that too.  They want the something new and shiny to play with.

Our house has been turned into a virtual bone and antler play area.  What I've noticed, is that eventually the old bones and toys no longer particularly interest the dogs.  When they're not busy chewing on the right stuff, they chew on other things - the sofa and chair come to mind!

I went yesterday to the pet store to buy some new chewy things.  Ah, the sound of silence when the puppies have something new to play with or chew on.  Of course, keeping the puppies in interesting new things, comes with a hefty price tag.  The cost of all things dog, which includes carpet cleaning and several gates to keep them confined, pretty much equals a down payment on a car!  Not really, but you get the general idea.

Also, like children who get overtired and need a nap, puppies do too.  Each morning after eating, there is about thirty minutes of biting, snarling and bone snatching.  And, then there is only the sound of peaceful snoring.  Trust me when I tell you that I'll take any amount of quiet time.  

And, like children, whatever someone else has, the other child/puppy wants it.  Mind you, they can both have nearly identical things, but there is something about the game of stealing.  Yesterday, I had put out three bones.  Maggie takes off with hers as does Bella.  Daisy is more stealth like.  At some point, Daisy went to the top of the basement stairs and barked.  Bella took the bait and bounded outside.  Meanwhile, Daisy took possession of both bones!  You know possession is 9/10's of the law. 

What I do know is that 6 bones of medium size are now just a distant memory!  Later today, I'll break out something else new, which will buy me another round of relative quiet - chewing be an okay noise.

I've made good progress on my Christmas shopping.  I like to shop early and put a lot of time thinking about the right gifts for the right people.  The UPS man and I are now good friends!  I'm finished with Jeff and Benjamin and nearly done with Scott and Andy.  I think today I'll go to the store to buy Christmas cards for special friends and look at other things to consider buying.

I know you can't hear it, but there is absolute quiet in the house at the moment.  And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Happy Friday.  Picture has wrong type of dog, but the littered floor looks a lot like mine!

P

Image result for picture of dog bones and antlers with dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...