Friday, December 23, 2016

The Day Before, The Day Before and then Christmas

12/23/2016

It's the day before, Christmas Eve.  Children are getting excited and parents are rushed and anxious.  I can remember many Christmases when Jeff and I would stay up all hours trying to put this or that toy together.  And always Murphy's Law came into play.  Inevitably, there would either be a broken or missing part.  This is hard to explain why Santa brought a toy that doesn't work.  When they no longer believe in Santa, the explanation if much simpler. 

And Santa ALWAYS ate the cookies and drank the milk that the boys put out faithfully every Christmas, until they no longer believed.  Christmas is a magical time and, in my opinion, best shared with children.  While my memory is a bit fuzzy about the boys' early Christmases, I can still remember the way Benjamin "attempted" to unwrap gifts when he was still waddling around.  His attention span was limited and he'd open a gift, and then abandon it when he was given another gift.  

And, you never do Christmas without a pocketknife!  Jeff has had to open packages, remove wires from the back of the package and anything else that needed some help.  Also, Santa never delivers a gift, and grandparents don't either, without the right number and size of batteries.  A toy with no batteries is a downer just waiting to happen.

We celebrated Christmas with Andy et al last Saturday.  And, at a certain age, there are few surprises left.  The boys dread the infamous shirt boxes (clothing - boring) and the rolled up sausage-like presents - socks, also boring.  I find it difficult to buy for our adult sons.  I lucked out this year because Andy has just bought a new car and I bought a heavy duty trunk liner.  Big hit.  Since I don't actually get a list from the boys, I have to put my mind in shopping mode, looking for something.  And, preferably, something original.  I like to give gifts that are "outside the box", and that's not always easy.

Buying gifts for Stacey (DIL) is much easier.  While Jeff would disagree, I believe it's easier to buy gifts for women.  I, like most women, love stuff.  Sparkly stuff and sometimes to a man, useless stuff.  And, in a last ditch effort, ye old gift card, which is a fine gift if it's for somewhere you like to shop.  For instance, a gift card for me to a local fitness center, wouldn't go over so well.  Not that I wouldn't or couldn't benefit from such a gift, it's just well you know.

This year my sizing was all wrong.  I bought both Andy and Jeff outdoor weather shirts, a size too small.  Thank heavens Amazon makes returns pretty easy.  Actually, Scott came over last weekend, and liked the fleece-lined hoody I put for Andy.  It fit him and so that one gift I didn't have to return.  And, Jeff's chamois shirt, is a bit big in the sleeves, but otherwise isn't any too big, so I've kept that too!  Don't worry, I've bought both Andy and Jeff identical replacements in a bigger size.

I could today, merely for chuckles go to a store, any store and watch the madness unfold. But, first, of course, I would have to find a parking place.  And, if I actually bought something, I'd probably have to stand in a rather long line at the cashier.  

The next worst day for going to a store is going to be Monday.  But, likely the long line will be with returns/exchanges.  I did buy Stacey a sweater this year, but I was pretty sure it was the right size, but told her that if it (a) didn't fit; or (b) she didn't like it, I'd be happy to send it back to Amazon and pick out something else.

Pretty sure Benjamin liked his gifts, as well as the accompanying batteries!  With three sets of grandparents, at this time of year, Benjamin is a very lucky boy.

Likely, most offices will allow the workers to leave early today.  They might as well, because I know from experience that when you get close to a big holiday, your body might be in the chair, but your head isn't!

Happy Friday.

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...