Sunday, December 4, 2016

Icicles

12/4/2016

People are generally fascinated with icicles.  During the winter months, when it freezes, you find the icicles hanging from the roof of your house, the underside of your car and pretty much anywhere else.  Sometimes those icicles dangle tauntingly in our face.  Who doesn't want to snap off a large icicle for just the heck of it?  And, who doesn't enjoy the sound of the icicle snapping in two?  I, for one, love to look at icicles, but seldom go so far as to break them.

Christmases as a child, which was a long time ago, meant hanging the silvery strands of silver "tinsel" (also known as lametta) on the tree.  Children are impatient.  I know I was.  I liked to take a handful of the shimmery stuff and then just throw it willy-nilly on the tree.  Mother was having none of that.  To her, you had to take each strand (and they were small in width) and hang each one of those strands individually on the tree.  Decorating this way meant it took a long time to have a finished "product".  

When I had my own home, I can't remember if there was ever a time when we put silver strands on our trees.  If we did, it was a short-lived tradition.  I thought that the plastic popcorn-cranberry ropes looked far better on the tree - even though it was plastic.  And now, more than ever before, you can buy garland in all types and colors.  I bought a red and green garland for the fireplace mantel just this week.  

Last year we didn't bother putting up a tree, other than the little 3 foot one that sits on a table.  We haven't had a real Christmas tree or outdoor decorations for many years.  Once the boys left home, and Christmas was seldom celebrated at our house, decorating became more work and less fun.  Work that nobody would see except Jeff and I.  And, I can already hear some of you yelling at the screen, that why shouldn't we decorate for ourselves.  

Christmas is best when shared with a child.  A child who still believes in the special magic that is Christmas.  Santas, even when they know there isn't one, trains running underneath the tree, packages stacked on top of each other, and the anticipation of the big day.

Though my house may not look like Christmas, I still very much enjoy the music of the season.  I have many Christmas CD's and play them often.  If they were records, then I would have worn the grooves off years ago.

And I enjoy watching the presents put in the spare bedroom.  It gives me a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I tried to think outside of the box when it comes to the gifts I buy.

Enjoy your day.

P

Image result for picture of lamettaImage result for picture of lametta on a tree
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...