Friday, October 12, 2018

Play Date

10/12/2018

Yesterday, Stacey and Benjamin came for a "play date". I enjoy my outings with both of them very much. The only thing we had on our "to do" agenda was to go to the salon and have toes, nails and some waxing done. I generally give Stacey a "gift" for Christmas for pedicures, etc. So, Santa came early this year!

Next stop, which was a huge mistake, was a trip to Barnes & Noble. My going into a book store is akin to taking an alcoholic into a liquor store! I had my rollator, so I could browse, and boy did I ever, and then perch myself on my "throne" to rest.

Every time I turned around there was another set of books written by some of my favorite authors. Which books to buy was my only problem. Benjamin was good enough to take books (and there were so many) up to the register for them to hold for me.

Long story short, it was time to check out. And, Jeff don't have a heart attack, but the total came to $200.00.  Apparently, I "loved" too many books. I put aside all but two books. Adriana Trigianai (sp?) new book "Kiss Carlo". Originally priced at $29.00, on sale for 6.98. Same book on Kindle would have cost me $12.99. In the big picture I saved money! Next up was Fannie Flagg's book "The Whole Town's Talking". Sale price $6.98 (hard book), from $ 27.99. Same book on Kindle was $11.99. Look how much money I saved Jeff. It was reeeeeeeeeeeally difficult to restrain myself, but I did try. But, truth is, I can't go anywhere that sells books and not find a book I want to read. Now, these books have smaller print, but with the help of my magnifying glass, will be able to read them.

Last stop was Target, which was like nirvana to me. Much like the book store, so many things to look at. Even shopping with my rollator, after we shopped, I was pretty much done. We came back to the house for dinner, and then we applied masks on our faces, and then settled in to watch Halloween Baking Championship. We all looked ridiculous, but that didn't matter in the least. 

My television remote had fallen, and the back came off. I couldn't seem to get the batteries in, so Stacey was able to help me with that. I hadn't been able to access Amazon Prime on the television, and with a great deal of effort on both Stacey's and Benjamin's part, I was finally able to movies on Amazon.

Stacey and I were hoping that we could watch past seasons of some of our favorite cooking shows, but Amazon is holding them hostage. If you want them, you have to pay for them!  I say no-no to that nonsense. Jeff is already paying for my Prime membership, and I really don't think I should have to pay for things I want to watch. How much money does Amazon have to earn in a year?

Wanting to know that, I went and searched for Amazon's revenue. In 2017, their revenue was 2.03 billion dollars. Breaking it down another way, their share of the buying market was 44% for sales in retail stores in 2017. I can see no need at all, for wanting to charge me $1.99 or more to watch past episodes of my favorite shows. How greedy can they get?  Jeff already pays $119.00 dollars a year for a membership fee. I know they are in business to make money, but just how much money does Amazon really need?

The downside of being out of the house for most of the day, meant that the girls were confined to the basement and backyard. This wouldn't be necessary, if Bella wouldn't misbehave. The last time we tried leaving her in the house, she was able to snag a DVD, among other things. We can't really afford to have her take things outside and then destroy them!  Hope that the dog trainer who is coming out next week, can help us with this behavior.

After breakfast this morning, the three of us settled in for our first nap of the day! I'm in my recliner, Daisy is in her usual position on my lap, and Bella finds a spot on one of the dog beds. 

Based on the weather forecast for next week, I'm going to turn off the a/c, and open up the windows. When I got up this morning, it was only 52 degrees. The nice thing about autumn is that you can start pulling out your long sleeve tops and pants, rather than capris.

Now that I've "talked" your ear off, it's time for me to move my fanny along, and see what needs doing around the house. Initially, I don't see too many things, unless I want to go into Jeff's office and file papers. Um, that doesn't seem to be a chore I wish to do today.

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...