Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Merchandise Selling Parties

10/31/2018

Some, or perhaps all of you, have gone to one or more parties, where "things" (merchandise) are sold. I don't know about you, but I always felt somewhat obligated to buy something/anything. And, price certainly played a role in my buying decisions. 

In the 70's, there were a number of popular house parties, but house parties of a different kind are being held today
  • Princess House (glass things)
  • Tupperware (explanation not needed)
  • Jewelry (more of a now thing)
  • Clothes (this is a more current trend at the moment
  • Purses (also a current trend)
  • Make-Up (so not interested in parties selling cosmetics - since I don't use any) - unless lipstick counts!
  • Longaberger - all things baskets, etc. 
Funny story, and it's true. When Jeff and I were expecting Andrew, I was invited to a Tupperware party. When I arrived, there was no Tupperware for sale - it was a baby shower! I was thrilled at getting presents for my new baby. But, I remember saying something like "we're not buying Tupperware"? 

I had a neighbor, who was big into make-up, and when she threw a party, I felt obligated to go. During the party (all parties actually), you are given a little catalog, so that you can browse/shop while the presenter is presenting. The only reason I believe was for numbers. My neighbor knew that I didn't wear make-up, not that I don't need it mind you, but I didn't then and still don't.

Back to the parties. Because all of the "guests" knew that the more merchandise sold, the better the hostess gift became. So, I bought baskets, which are currently sitting in the closet, Tupperware, which I still use today. I've even had to buy new Tupperware online, when I'm needing a certain item.


If there is any remaining Princess House purchases that I bought, I really can't remember.

Currently, there is a company, LulaRoe, that sells tunics and leggings. If you know me personally, my body doesn't look so good in form fitting clothes. Stacey (DIL) was throwing this clothing party, and I went. Trouble was that there really weren't any sizes, particular in leggings, that would fit me. So Jeff's checkbook was safe at that party! Truthfully, I can't say that about other parties I've gone to.

I personally have never hosted these kind of parties, and it's more than likely I won't in the future. I feel this way partially because I'm a recluse, with a capital "R". Unless there is some wine involved (and because of medicine, I can only have about 1/4 ounce), I don't enjoy or even like being with a group of people I don't know. Unlike Jeff, who has never met a stranger, I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. I generally can't  mingle at a party, and for me, a stranger is likely still a stranger at the end of the evening.

But, having said all that, if someone I know throws a party where you can buy stuff, I will likely go. Buying something? Um, maybe not so much.

P
 Image result for picture of halloween


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...