Saturday, August 15, 2015

Selling on Craigslist

8/15/2015

In the past, I haven't had much luck selling things on Craigslist.  The theory is good, and there are lots of things to buy.   I have in the past bought some lovely wood furniture from Craigslist.

Here's where things tend to bog down for me - selling something.  When I try to sell something, like a car seat, I price the item fairly.  It's used after all.  The last transaction was in fact for one of Benjamin's car seats and I think I priced it at $100.  The price seemed fair to me since originally it cost nearly $300, and the car seat was in excellent condition.

The buyer contacted me and was anxious to see the car seat.  She came to the house, loved the car seat and then the dreary negotiations began.  The buyer said the car was used - duh - I said that in my listing.  Then she thought the price was too high, there was after all some light fading on one side that always sat closest to the window.  

I could quickly see my chance of getting $100 flying out the window.  The thing is, if I've taken the time to take a picture and post my listing, then I definitely want it gone!  I can't remember how much we settled on, but it was nowhere close to $100.  But, the car seat was gone.  

I have one more car seat to sell.  It's a Britax, which makes a very good car seat.  But, when they're not in use anymore, they are really big and heavy and take up space.  I tried to take pictures of the car seat yesterday, but knew they weren't too good and Jeff has offered to take better pictures for me.

Like last time, I will try and sell the car seat for $100, but will likely settle for less.  My theory is that I could cling to my $100 price, and not sell the car seat.  Or, I could accept the reality of things and barter the price down.

Wish me luck.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...