Thursday, July 7, 2016

Making Pie

7/7/2016

Over the weekend, Jeff brought down to the counter my stand mixer.  If I'm going to use a stand mixer, then you know I'm about to do some serious baking.  And, yesterday was no exception.

Between potty breaks and retrieving shoes, I managed to make a coconut cream pie.  The effort that goes into making a pie from scratch is really worth it.  I made the custard, browned the coconut for the top of the pie and put the completed pie in the refrigerator.

Jeff has trouble digesting sugar and I could have used Splenda, but was pretty sure I wouldn't get the same taste.  The pie turned out beautifully.  The stand mixer is back in it's cupboard and likely won't be brought back down anytime soon.  I may have won the "Betty Crocker Homemaker Award" in high school in 1967, I don't do too much baking now.

Here's the recipe and I promise your family will love it.



Coconut Cream Pie

1 15 oz. refrigerated pkg. piecrusts
½ c sugar
¼ c cornstarch
2 c half and half
4 egg yolks
3 T butter
1 c sweetened flaked coconut
2 ½ teas. vanilla, divided
2 c whipping cream
1/3 c sugar
Garnish: toasted coconut

Fit 1 piecrust into 9 inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork. Bake according to package directions for a one-crust pie.

Combine ½ c sugar and cornstarch in a heavy pan. Whisk together half and half and egg yolks. Gradually whisk egg mixture into sugar mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat.

Stir in butter, 1 c coconut and 1 teas. vanilla. Cover w/plastic wrap, placing plastic wrap directly on filling in pan; let stand 30 minutes. Spoon custard mixture into prepared crust, cover and chill 30 minutes or until set.

Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 1/3 c sugar and remaining 1 ½ teas. vanilla, beating until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie filling.  Garnish with toasted coconut if desired.

Enjoy. 

P


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...