Monday, October 31, 2016

Food Thief

10/31/2016

Happy Halloween everyone.  I hope you have managed to successfully stay out of the candy - or mostly out of the candy!  I mean who doesn't like peanut butter cups?

We have a food thief in our house and her technique is quite good.  Even though we have pushed everything on the counter as far back as possible, Bella managed to get another stick of butter today.  I say another, because over the weekend, while we weren't paying attention, she was able to get the butter off the dish and consumed before we noticed!

We had a lab years ago, Suzie.  When Suzie was a puppy she escaped from the yard and spent weeks foraging for food.  When she was finally returned to us, she was a completely different dog.  Suzie being a large dog had no trouble getting things off the counter, but she was also able to open up the buffet doors in a cabinet because she could smell candy in there.  And, one Christmas, she smelt something under the tree, I don't remember what it was, but she destroyed the package.  She would eat or attempt to eat anything - cell phone cases was not a problem for her.

When Scott moved to his new house with lots of acreage, thankfully he took Suzie with him.  She was happy at his house and loved playing with his Mastiffs.  She was in a happy place and died peacefully a year ago.

So back to the present problem.  I have ordered a Scat Mat for the counter.  I intend to move the mat around in the kitchen as well as the kitchen table too.   It's been years since we've bothered to pay attention to what was on the counter, because while Maggie could reach any food items, she has never done so.  I can't be watching Bella every moment, so I need a little help and a few zaps to her front paws should do the trick. I'll let you know how that works out.  Obviously, if I could catch Bella pawing the counter top, a sharp correction would work, but she's very sneaky.  And, I'm not very fast!

Today, I'm mailing off all the necessary documents required by the FAA to reinstate his medical so that he can return to the sky.  He hasn't flown since May and I know on these gorgeous fall days, he'd be so happy to be flying - even if it was only circles around the airport.  Fingers crossed.



Image result for picture of trick or treaters





No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...