Friday, January 19, 2018

A Rant

1/19/2018

For years, I literally wasn't all that interested in the news.  Most of the news then, and more so today, is depressing.  But I know that I can no longer live in a shell, surrounded by "nice" news.  Is that even a thing?

This year, in particular, has brought around a lot of bad/sad news.  Men physically harassing women.  For me, working in the 60's and 70's, I was subjected to emotional abuse.  Then, like now, it was mostly brushed under the carpet, and women, were overstating what was happening to them.  One company that I worked for, in 1968, we had to ask our supervisor if we could go to the bathroom.  How embarrassing that was.  And, you had better not take too long in the bathroom, or else somebody would come in and check on you.  Heaven forbid if you took a minute or two to enjoy peace and quiet.

Over the years, I have had a stapler thrown at me, dealt with a drunk and often out of the office boss, mean supervisors, and in one office I worked in after high school, flowers that I had brought in for my desk, were snatched away to go to a partner's desk.  Complain?  Don't even think about it.

Anyway, I see that Woody Allen is the next one to join the illustrious list of men accused of sexual assault, and the charge came from his own daughter.  Really, really sad.

Locally, a couple built a tree house for their daughters. Unfortunately, the tree house extends about 20 feet over a u-shaped alley, and was built three years ago.  First, they were ordered to take down the tree house and were fined $2,000.  The couple, who feel strongly about their right to keep the tree house, have now filed suit in District Court.  I don't know about your neighborhood, but here in the East, there is a "I'll mind your business, as well as my own."  Or, not in my backyard mentality.  Jeff and I know of this personally, because 30 years ago, when we put up our fence around the backyard, we consulted with all the neighbors who would be impacted once the fence was built.  Years and years went by, and then suddenly a neighbor complained.  Why?  Because they didn't like the "ugly" side of the pickets facing their house.  In the dead of winter, Jeff and the boys, had to literally dig up that portion of the fence, and turn it around.  

We have a large generator in our backyard.  Before, we installed "Jenny" in the backyard, we obtained all the necessary permits and wrote to the HOA that we were going to install this generator.  We received the okay from the HOA, but that didn't keep one neighbor from reporting their dislike of having to see Jenny from their deck.  How I long for some of the tried and true fences of southern California, which are six feet of concrete blocks. It's hard to offend your neighbor, if they can't actually see what's going on in your yard.  A fence like that makes for good neighbors!  That's all I'm saying. 

The next door neighbor, has a young son.  They put up a portable basketball hoop in the circle of our street.  The basketball stand, if you will, is set up and probably extends a foot or perhaps less into the street.  One of our neighbors, who winters in Florida every year, will probably have a cow when he returns home and sees the basketball stand.  I feel it shouldn't matter to him or any of the other neighbors.  But, given enough time, it will annoy somebody I'm sure.  And, more than likely, the HOA will get involved, and I think that's sad.

Over the years, Jeff and I have become more "Eastern-like".  We have learned when to put out our trash cans, and how quickly to get them back into the garage, and this pertains to recycling too.  A neighbor behind us, asked if he could cut down a few trees in our backyard, and we told him to knock himself out.  To date, he hasn't done anything with the trees.  We know that the trees, which are 30 years old, have long gone past their prime and do need to come down.  Scott was given a smaller chainsaw for Christmas, and one of these days, he'll come and take down the trees and perhaps trim some other ones, which have a few dead branches.  Our problem, after the trees are taken down, that we will be able to look directly into said neighbor's kitchen!  We put up the Leland Cypress to keep us less visible to the neighbor.  And, once the trees are down, we'll have to decide what to put in their place.  I think a row of holly bushes might be nice.  We have a holly bush in one corner of our yard, and it's huge.  Another bonus about a holly bush, is that the girls won't go near it!

There you have it - my rant for the day - and now I feel much better! 😄

Have a good day and a great week-end.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...