Tuesday, January 23, 2018

When Is A Dog Just A Dog?

1/23/2018

Today's paper had an article about having service dogs and/or emotion support dogs in the cabins of airplanes.  Apparently, on a recent Delta flight, a "service" dog, behaved badly. If you have a service dog, for instance, that dog has been trained how to behave in public.  These dogs provide a service to blind people, for instance, and allows these people to be mobile without having to use a cane.  Delta is going to tighten up it's rules regarding service and/or emotional support dogs.

Then, there is the emotional support dog.  This type of dog, for some people, reduces their stress level.  Daisy, could be an emotional support dog.  When I'm in my chair, more often than not, she gets in my lap.  While I'm sitting, I find myself petting Daisy without even realizing I'm doing that.  Daisy provides comfort to me, and anyone who knows my roller coaster ride through my mental state, knows I need all the help I can get!

If you take an animal out in public, then you'd better know how that animal is going to act in all situations.  For instance, a service dog, doesn't bark in public, unless there is imminent danger to his/her human.  Bella, walks on a leash beautifully and knows that when she is out for a walk, if Jeff stops, she sits and waits.  Bella isn't quite as big as I would like her to be, but could likely be trained to stand still, if I needed a bit of support when I lose my balance.

And then there's Daisy.  Emotional support animals aren't allowed in public places, but are allowed to be in the cabin of an airplane.  In the article I read today, a lady brings her canary (really?) along for emotional support.  I'm positive that for this woman, the canary is helpful, but taking the bird out of her cage, could spell disaster in so many ways.

It's true that the public in general, would really like to be able to travel with their, let's say, dogs.  You can buy a vest for your dog, and get the "appropriate" certification documents online.  And, likely you would not be questioned if you don't go through the proper channels, to make your dog a service dog.  However, questions that can be asked of you, are: Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? And, what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? You may not ask these questions if the need for the service animal is obvious. Examples include when a dog is guiding an individual who is blind or is pulling a person's wheelchair.

It's a shame that people, who are not disabled physically or mentally, are misusing the right to take a dog out in public and pawn him/her off as a service dog.  It is likely that this kind of person, is also the person who believes it is alright to park in a handicapped parking place.  As a person who has a lot of trouble walking, I am really offended when Jeff and I see a car that is not showing their placard.  That's just my two cents!

Very gray day outside.  So, while I sit and write, I've turned my "SAD" light on, so that I can have pretend sunshine on my face.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...