Monday, June 4, 2012

It's Dinner Time Ladies

6/4/12

IT'S DINNER TIME LADIES!

Do you know what the worst time of day is for a woman?  I bet the women can already guess - yep it's dinner time.  I have been cooking dinner off and on, but mostly on for 37 plus years.  I don't know about the rest of you ladies, but I do get tired of cranking out chicken dishes, followed by fish (I think Tuna Helper qualifies as a fish dish) and because of the new order of things very little beef. 

The boys have all moved on now; but, for years when I got home from work I had 4 males looking at me with anticipation.  What's for dinner Mom?  I was too cheap to order carry out night after night; but boy was it tempting.  Okay so now when I get home I have two dogs that greet me at the door because I'm the lady that dispenses their little hamburger bits and pieces at night.  I don't know that they love seeing me as much as they love seeing the little packet I pour into their bowls so they'll leave me alone.

So while I'm typing this I have cut up and tossed some zukes in the microwave with appropriate seasonings.  Once they're soft I'll add some hot salsa or tomatoes and chilies - nuke some more.  Right at the end add a bit of swiss cheese and voila - squash casserole.  Now my only problem is what am I going to serve with my squash.  

If I were only cooking for myself I think I could get by with a bowl of popcorn or cereal - both very nutritious dishes don't you think?  The popcorn is corn (veggie) and cereal is some kind of a grain and then there's milk (calcium).  Almost a complete meal and would be enough for me.

So I've just heard the beep on my microwave letting me know to come and check the veggies.  After I've pronounced them 'soft', I'll head downstairs to the freezer that is big enough to house two cows inside (bought when the family was a bit bigger) and see what frozen nugget of goodness I can find to go with the squash.

Until tomorrow.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...