Friday, June 15, 2012

A Time From My Past - September 21, 1974 (part one)

6/15/2012

A Time From My Past - September 21, 1974 (part one)

While this date in particular won't have much meaning to many of you, it was the day that I married Jeff.  What I'm about to share with you now is some of the writing from my journal that I wrote on our honeymoon.   And don't worry this isn't going to embarrass anyone.

We were married in Riverside California and made our escape from family and friends around 5:00 pm and then made a beeline to Santa Barbara which only took us about 3 hours.  Just think how much faster the trip would have been in a plane!

After getting advice from local police, we decided on a restaurant called Espana that only had a 45 minute wait which seemed like an eternity.  Both of us ordered lobster and steak and I believe we had a glass of wine which was something I almost never drank  A little history here, my mother had insisted that I buy one of those "hold you in everywhere" kind of undergarments with hook and eye closures at the most critical point.

In the restaurant after a bit of wine which had gone straight to my head, the call of Mother Nature needed to be answered.  In order to tend to the hook and eyes you have to bend down - then the wine REALLY went to my head.  The undoing part was relatively easy - the hooking up not so good.  I remember going back to the table to tell Jeff that I was "secured" so to speak by only ONE hook and eye and if we didn't leave soon I was afraid my unmentionable would roll up like a shade and become a neck adornment.   We paid the bill which we thought in 1974 was highway robbery - came to $20.67 - truth.

As we continued up the cost toward San Francisco, Jeff was running a little low on gas but the local gas station in whatever city we were in was charging 75 cents a gallon and there was no way he was going to pay that much for gas - it was ridiculous.  We got into Big Sur on fumes not only in the gas tank but the right passenger seat as well.  Filling up the tank set us back $10.66 - at this rate we would run out of money before we ever got to San Francisco!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...