Saturday, June 9, 2012

First Flight or Why Would I Want to Learn to Fly?


6/9/12 
First Flight or Why Would I Want to Learn to Fly?

Why do I want to learn to fly? I don't actually want to be a pilot, I just want and need to become more familiar with the cockpit.  Several years ago my husband received a free flying lesson from one of his friends.  If we know that there are no free lunches, then, there are certainly no free flying lessons.  Jeff loved flying from the very first lesson and several years ago bought a plane.  Once the plane arrived, I knew that I was either going to join my husband’s aviation enthusiasm or be left behind.

Admittedly my first time out was not my best, but I was determined to try to make the best of it and also remain positive.  I don’t much care for jets so how was I going to make peace with this little bitty piece of metal that had a small whirly-gig blade on its nose?  I remained frozen to the ground while my husband did all the usual safety checks in and around the plane.  I saw no reason to rush to get inside.
 
The moment of truth arrived and I had to get in the plane.  The first step is nearly a mile above the ground, or at least a couple of feet and tiny.  Who designs these planes anyway?  My husband assisted my ascent with a delicate push on my rear.  Once on the wing, I discover that there were still more maneuvers required to actually sit down.   After plopping myself into the seat I notice that I am exhausted with all the calisthenics I’ve just been through.  And, then Jeff shut the doors and the space inside the plane is small – very small.  We’re sitting elbow-to-elbow and my knees are in my chest.  And it’s hot.  Oh and  I have to put on that silly, very non-flattering, headphone?   Really?  I’m told to put the microphone close to my lips when I want to talk.  I decide that verbal communication is over rated at this point and resort to head shaking as my only form of communication.

We rumble along the landing strip and then its wheels off the ground.  I’m super nervous as the plane and my stomach rock around a bit.  I probably shouldn’t have had that extra donut at breakfast.  In a small plane there is no sense of speed.  If you were doing 100 mph in a car, you’d know it (and so would the police).  In the air doing the same speed it feels more like slow motion.  As we flew over houses, cars, trains, trucks and stores, it felt much more like we were dangling by a string in the air.  A bit freaky.  Mind you, I wasn’t so nervous that I chewed on the dashboard but inward gasps occurred - often.

We’re at 3000 feet, 4000 feet and the world becomes miniature below us.  I try to relax knowing that I don’t have to look over my shoulder for highway patrol who might notice my hot-footing husband.  I’m at peace with the world, more or less, and then my husband says, “Don’t forget to keep looking out for planes.”

“What! I scream.  They can’t see us?  Are you crazy?”  At this point the search for the highway patrol is beginning to look mighty good. 

“Calm down,” my husband says trying to reassure me.  
 
“I am calm” I reply while twisting my novel into a figure eight and craning my neck back and forth as if I were watching a tennis match.  Eventually, the hum of the engines and the soft music playing on the radio lulled me to sleep.  I slept soundly and was surprised to see how far we’d traveled while I was catching up on my beauty sleep.

In time flying became easier for me, the trips were longer and the adventures amazing.  I have taken a partner-in-command class through Cirrus Owners Pilots Association (COPA) and I highly recommend a similar class to anyone who will regularly be flying right seat.  I am working on becoming more familiar with the cockpit and ask questions.   And, I've even learned to talk (admittedly seldom) through the microphone.

I want and should be more helpful to Jeff when I’m in the right seat.  I want and need to be confident in my ability to control and/or "land" the plane in an emergency.  And, I want to be a stronger advocate for general aviation.

What did I learn from my first flying experience?  You fly when and where you want to, without removing your shoes or going through body scans.  Though the interior space is small, you are well acquainted with your seat mate and the only crying and whining you hear will be your own.  We fly lower than commercial planes, see some incredible scenery and have taken amazing pictures.  One of the best parts about general aviation is the people.  We have met some incredible “plane people” in our travels and friendships have developed and the spirit and caring of aviation folks is a great thing to experience.  Come fly with us!


P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...